Surprises

I sulk on my way back from divination, almost tripping as I climb through the portrait hole and into the common room for my free hour and collapse into the couch. I let myself have a few peaceful, homework free moments before pulling out the work I've acquired throughout the day so far.

"Put that down." A familiar voice says. I smile and look up to find Fred watching me feigning disappointment. "We have something more important to do."

"What would that be?" I ask cheerfully, happy to have a reason to toss my work aside.

Fred takes my face in his hands and presses his lips against my own before pulling away and pulling me to my feet.

"Seriously though, we're having a very important meeting upstairs, come on." He grins and pulls me up the stairs and into the 7th year boys' dormitory.

"So what's today's subject-" I cut myself off upon seeing a head of long red hair sitting on George's bed. "McKenna?"

"We invited her into the loop after flying around in the halls last night." George explains.

"And George kind of gave her some of the products that we've discovered don't work properly, so we had to let her know what we were doing." Fred adds before getting elbowed in the gut by George.

"So the skiving snackboxes don't work?" I ask. Fred shakes his head.

"We can't reverse the sickness effects yet so we're going to have to do some experimenting." He says. "We've been gathering some materials we think may help to improve the outcome while you three have been here for the past two weeks."

"What are you guys doing up here?" Lani asks, appearing in the down.

"Nothing!" Fred and George say together quickly, hiding the sweets on the floor with their arms. "I think the real question is, what are you doing in the boy's dorms?"

"Looking for my idiot friends." She replies.

"Hey!" McKenna calls out.

"Well they're busy and will be for the rest of our free hour." George hurriedly replies.

"Alright, I guess I'll go patrol the hallways." She says, her eyes sad but only for a moment before they brighten again and she smiles. "You know, if you want to make those sweets work, you should really add about three drops of doxy venom to the recipe, but you didn't hear that from me."

She winks and heads out the door and down the stairs.

"What just happened? Lani Davidson did not just tell us how to perfect the skiving snackboxes." McKenna says in disbelief.

*

We take Lani's suggestion, and get to work, tossing out the old products and starting again. When tested by the twins, only the puking pastilles are close to working, but it's progress and we can continue to develop it later. Right now, though, our free period is over, and we all head to Defense Against the Dark Arts class together, not knowing what to expect from the toad.

Upon sitting at our desks, Umbridge enters the rooms and orders "Wands away". The class groans, no lesson following those words has ever been enjoyable.

"Good afternoon class!" The Professor says in a false happy tone, with an unconvincing smile. We mumble in return. "What was that? When I say good afternoon class, you will reply 'Good afternoon Professor Umbridge'. Let's try that again. Good afternoon class!"