The Department of Mysteries

(AN) Here we are, it's the last chapter and it's quite long so strap in! We're finishing off the book in a burst of chaos and not everything will be book accurate. I'll post a note after this chapter that will tell you all about the next book and when it will be up. Thanks so much for reading!

~

Everyone manages to hold on to their thestrals well enough, and after a few seconds it doesn't require quite as much effort as it did in the first few moments of flight. The creatures quickly level out but it doesn't stop me from feeling like I'm constantly about to plummet to my death. My hair moves in the wind as we fly over the grounds, leaving Hogwarts behind us. I close my eyes and hold on to my thestral as tightly as I can. It's terrifying to be flying when you can't see what's holding you up. I barely feel safe flying on a broom let alone a thestral that I can't see.

"This is mad," Ron calls over the wind. "Mad... if I could just see it-"

"You'd better hope it stays invisible." Harry calls back.

The group of thestrals stay close together, or I assume they do as everyone is floating relatively near by. The trip to London takes several hours and I'm on the edge of panic the entire time while Lani who's on my right seems to be enjoying herself quite a bit. Luna has chosen to trust her thestral enough to take a nap on top of it mid-flight, and although I'm tired I'm too panicked to do the same.

When we finally arrive in London, the thestrals land on the sidewalk near a muggle phone booth and set us on the ground.

"Never again!" Ron said as he toppled of of his thestral. "Never, ever again... that was the worst-"

He doesn't get a chance to continue as he gets up and runs right into what I assume is another thestral and falls to the ground again.

"Where do we go from here then?" Luna asks calmly.

"Over here, come on!" Harry answers.

He leads the way to the phone booth, insisting that everyone cram inside it and it's quite a tight fit. Why are we stopping to make a phone call, and why do we all have to cram inside to hear the conversation? I sigh, resisting the urge to close my eyes. Harry picks up the phone and I see him dial the numbers '62442'.

Suddenly, the phone booth begins to lower into the ground, and the view of the London street is replaced with darkness for a few moments before we can see the shiny grey and black brick walls of the Ministry that I recognize from the vision.

"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening." A woman's voice says as we step out of the phone booth.

"Come on." Harry quietly instructs, waving us into the elevator and repeatedly pressing the number nine button.

The ride lasts a matter of seconds and then the same female voice announces that we have reached the Department of Mysteries. The grill of the lift slides open and Harry rushes everyone out and down a long corridor with a black door at the end of it.

"Okay, listen. Maybe a couple of people should stay here as a lookout and-" Harry doesn't get to finish this thought as everyone begins to argue.

"No way." Lani frowns. "We're not staying out here."

"We didn't come all this way just to stand outside the door." Edward rolls his eyes.