Empty Grounds

I stare at the dark mark that has been burned into my forearm as the reality of what has happened tonight settles in. In all the chaos, I haven't really had time to think about it, but now, sitting on my bed staring at my left arm, it finally hits me. I met my father tonight, and he's going to summon me again, this isn't the end of the problem by a long shot, because I'll have to show up when he calls if I want to save the ones I love.

There's a soft knock on the door that brings me back to reality, and I look up as Fred walks into the small room.

"Aren't you supposed to be packing?" He asks, sitting down next to me.

"Yeah, I just... can't focus." I say, pulling the sleeve of my robes down to cover the mark.

"I understand." He nods.

"Why can't Sylvia come with me, if Lani and McKenna can?" I ask quietly.

"She hasn't been sorted yet." Fred points out. "Where would she stay? And anyway, you don't want her to miss out on the boat ride do you? It would take away some of the magic."

"I suppose you're right." I sigh.

"I always am." Fred smirks, planting a kiss on my cheek. "Now come on, I'll help you pack."

He stands up and offers me his hand, to help me up, and I take it. It takes longer to pack with Fred helping me than I'm sure it would on my own, as I have to refold everything that he messily shoves into my trunk, but I appreciate that he's trying.

When we finally finish packing, he drags my trunk out of the room and down the stairs, while I take Athena, who has been magically healed, downstairs in her cage.

Fred places my trunk by Lani and McKenna's which have long been packed and ready to go, and I set down Athena there as well, after giving her an owl treat. Now comes the hard part, saying goodbye to everyone expect Lani and McKenna for two weeks.

Fred wraps his arm around my waist, and we walk into the kitchen, where Mrs. Weasley is packing snacks for the three of us to take with us.

"Are you all set dear?" She asks as we enter. I nod tiredly. "Good. I think you'll be leaving soon."

Fred releases me, and I walk around the room, saying goodbye to Harry, Ron, Hermione, and George, who wish me luck and give me a brief hug. I then walk over to Sylvia who immediately wraps me in a tight embrace.

"Do you have to go?" She asks. "I just got you back."

"I'm sorry, Silv, but I do. Everyone seems to think that it's the safest option for me, and so that's what we're going with." I say, kissing her forehead. "I love you, and I'll miss you."

"I love you too." She says, a single tear falling down her cheek.

"Don't do that, Silv. We'll be back together before you know it." I say encouragingly. She nods sadly, and let's go of me.

Just then, Dumbledore walks into the room.

"Are you three ready to go?" He asks. Lani, McKenna, and I nod, but I ask to have a moment to say goodbye to Fred, and Dumbledore agrees.

Fred guides me out of the kitchen and into the hall.

"Stay out of trouble, Nessa." He smiles sadly.

"I'll try if you'll do the same." I smile. He nods, and leans in, kissing me gently, his hands on my waist, mine on his chest, then he pulls away.

"I love you." He says, his tone unnaturally serious. "I'll see you in two weeks."

*

"We'll be apparating to Hogsmeade, and walking to the castle." Dumbledore informs us as we step outside of headquarters, and into the brisk early morning air.