Out of Bed

AN: I know the music choices are all over the place in completely different genres but I'm just trying to find some songs that match the chapter's content at least a little bit, and it's not always easy. Also, if you're wondering why I just randomly threw in a new character in the last chapter, my brother aka TheGreyWolf283 is going to be writing a book that will connect with mine called 'The Heir of Gryffindor" in which the main character is Edward Ripple. He hasn't got any chapters up yet because he is working on getting what he's written on paper transferred to the book on here. (Update: he now has one chapter up and is working on more.) If you would like to follow him and watch for his upcoming works, you will probably understand some of the new characters that will be entering this book. If you read to the end of this note, thank you and congratulations, I know author's notes can be annoying. I hope you all enjoy the chapter.

~

"I really don't see how you've never noticed him before." George shrugs as we head to the Great Hall for lunch.

"Neither do I but it's almost like now that I've noticed him I see him everywhere." I say as we sit down at the Gryffindor table. I look behind me at the Hufflepuff table, searching for Sylvia. I finally see her and she's not all that far away from me, so I move down the table a bit and tap her on the shoulder. "How has your first day been so far?"

She turns around and smiles when she sees me. "It's been brilliant! I still can't believe I really belong here."

"Well you definitely do." Says the girl sitting next to her with a smile. "You were the only one even close to making the feather float in charms today."

Sylvia smiles and shakes her head.

"Who's this?" I ask, smiling at the girl.

"Oh, this is Melody. She's... my friend." Sylvia says hesitantly.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Melody." I say kindly. Before turning to Sylvia. "I'm going to go eat now, you two have fun."

I move back to the seat I originally took by Fred, and start to fill my plate. Fred cuts a piece of chicken from my plate and eats it.

"Why can't you ever just get your own food?" I ask.

"What would be the fun in that?" Fred laughs. I shake my head but don't argue.

After lunch, Lani, McKenna and I head out towards Hagrid's Hut for our Care of Magical Creatures lesson. The boys stay behind because they dropped the class after fifth year and now have a free hour.

As we approach the hut, Professor Grubblyplank comes into view. McKenna is already complaining, but I decide to give Grubblyplank a chance. When she has substituted before she has always been very knowledgeable and straight forward.

When the rest of the class arrives, Professor Grubblyplank instructs us to follow her into the forest in a single file line.

"Is she holding raw chicken?" Lani asks.

"That's what it looks like." I nod.

The light that normally shines through the treetops slowly disappears as we walk deeper and deeper into the Forbidden Forest, until we reach an area of the forest where the trees have grown so close together that hardly any light makes it into the clearing where we are standing in a circle around Professor Grubblyplank who places the raw chicken on the ground.

"You all may be wondering why I have led you this deep into the forest," The professor says. "This is because we are going to be studying a creature that typically appears on the N.E.W.T.s, called a thestral. Thestrals are only visible to those who have seen death, and they like to stay in dark areas. Now, you should know that you have no reason to worry about the creatures posing a threat to you, because Professor Hagrid has personally trained this herd and they will not harm you."