Trouble in Paradise

Dedicated to Sharkheadgirl because she commented on the first book that she shipped Lee and Vanessa 😉 But this is by no means her fault.

"Is that okay with you?" I ask.

"Of course. I don't want them worrying." Sylvia replies, trying to hide her sadness.

"Neither do I." I say, pulling her into a hug.

"You don't want who worrying?" Fred asks as he sits down beside me on the couch, Sylvia scooting over a bit.

"My parents." Silv says, and just the fact that she refers them as her parents and not our parents anymore makes me wince. "Their memories have to be changed again so that they don't wonder where I am now that I'm here."

"Oh, makes sense." Upon seeing my expression, Fred leans in to kiss me briefly before adding, "Don't worry, Nessa. One day it will be safe for them to remember you."

I nod sadly.

"Gross." Sylvia mutters, referring to the kiss, and pushes herself off the couch to go and talk to Ginny. Fred and I laugh at her expression.

"Hey, Fred, can I talk to you for a minute?" A voice asks from above. I look up to find Angelina's eyes trained on Fred.

"Sure?" He replies curiously and gets to his feet. "I'll be right back." He says to me. I look between Fred and Angelina suspiciously but eventually nod and Angelina leads Fred into an empty corner of the common room. I raise my eyebrows at the two.

Fred's POV:

"What's this about, Angelina?" I ask.

"I just wanted to apologize," She says shyly, which is completely unlike her. "For the mess that I created with Vanessa and... everything."

"Thanks..." I say cautiously. "But I think you should talk to Vanessa about this. Maybe you can work it out so we can all be friendly again, but telling me doesn't really make a difference in the big pict-"

Angelina suddenly cuts me off by pressing her lips to mine. I freeze.

Vanessa's POV:

I wait awkwardly on the couch, but then I hear my name and curiously get to my feet to approach the two just in time to see them pulling away from a kiss.

"Where d-" Fred begins but I cut him off.

"Don't stop on my account." I say, making them both turn to face me, both red faced. I feel a tear slide down my cheek and I wipe it away.

"Vanessa, it's not what it looks like, she just-" Fred doesn't get the chance to finish for the second time in a row.

"What do you care, Snake? It's none of your business what he does now that you've finally split up." Angelina spits at me.

"You told her that we broke up?" I ask incredulously, staring at Fred.

"No! I swear, Nessa!" He yells desperately.

"Well, I'm going to let the two of you talk this out." Angelina says, looking genuinely awkward. I glare at her as she leaves, then turn back to face Fred.

"You're not mad at me." Fred says stupidly.

"Wanna bet?" I ask, raising my wand threateningly.

"Your necklace." He says sadly, pointing to the place where his gift still rests against my neck. "You're mad at Angelina, but you're just sad when you look at me."

I look down, and find the Rose a dark grey color that slowly turns to red. I rip the chain from my neck and throw it at him.

"I know it sounds and looks really bad but please just let me explain, Nessa." He pleads.

"Explain what exactly? Angelina's right. It's none of my business what you do anymore. Because we're done, for real this time." I reply, turning away from him. "Come on, Sylvia, let's get you back to the Hufflepuff common room."

Silv and I have reached the hallway before Fred has the time to say anything more, and once out of sight, I let the tears roll down my face without saying a word.

"What happened?" Silv asks tentatively, as if afraid that I'll yell at her too.

"I broke up with Fred." I reply, shaking my head and trying to stay calm.

"Do you want to hang out in the kitchens for a while and talk about it?" She asks, looking tentatively up at me.

"That would be nice." I agree. "I need to think."

I tickle the pear when we reach the fruit painting and it transforms into a familiar green doorknob. Instead of tapping out a tune on a barrel leaning against the far wall of the kitchens, as she would normally do to get into the common room, Sylvia sits down at one of the four long tables and asks an elf for two butterbeers and some cookies.

*

An hour later, I leave the kitchens feeling a bit better, and Sylvia returns to the Hufflepuff area.

I walk down the corridor quickly until I reach the Fat Lady again.

"Oddsboticus." I say, before she even has time to ask for the password. She sends me a glare but her portrait swings aside nonetheless.

The second that I'm through the portrait hole someone grabs my arm and yanks me forward. It's not until the door to the boy's dorms shuts behind me that I realize that it's George dragging me behind him. He comes to a sudden stop on the stairs and I almost run into him as he turns to face me.

"What the hell did you do to Fred?" He demands.

"What did I do to him? You should be asking what he did to me!"