"And what is your problem with it? Are you jealous?" His breath tickled below my ear and damn me but my heart skipped. 

"God no." I really don't need this today. "I'd rather-"

Mason brought his mouth a hair from mine, "Rather what?" 

His breath smelled of something I couldn't place. "Mason, are you drunk?" 

"Does it matter? You're jealous."

"Holy hell, you're drunk!" I pushed him off of me and turned the light on. "Mason it's almost nine in the morning and you're already drunk!? What the hell is wrong with you?" 

"Nothing is wrong. I just had some whiskey for breakfast is all." 

I shook my head and made for the door, hopefully I wouldn't be late. "Calsy wait-" Mason reached for me. 

"If you want to seduce somebody Mason, go seduce Mia. She seemed inclined to let you." 

"Calsy stop playing-" 

"I am dead serious Mason. Don't touch me ever again." 

His gaze changed, "Maybe I will go seduce Mia. She'd be grateful."

I cringed, "You're disgusting." I really did not need this today. " I don't want to see you for the rest of the day. Don't text me, call me or stare at me." 

Mason crossed his arms and rolled his eyes, "Whatever." 

I shoved him out of my way and slammed the door behind me. 

My breath was shaking and I inhaled deeply all the way to first period. 

My breathing had returned to almost normal when I reached science. I slipped in the room while Mr. Langer was writing on the board and slid to Jasie at our table. "Where the hell have you been?" 

"Long story." I said, and before she could ask again Mr. Langer's crackly voice split through the room. 

Lunch came to quickly and I knew I couldn't avoid Jasie's interrogation. Sure enough when I sat down she crossed her arms and pursed her lips. 

"I'm sorry-" I started.

"Save it. Are you okay? I know today must be hard."

Of course she knew what today was. "This morning was hard." 

She reached for my hand across the table and held it, "I know I'm sorry means nothing, but I'm here if you need me." 

I nodded. She smiled and we went back to eating. I looked back every now and then to see if Mason had shown up. No sign of the leather jacket clad drunk. Thankfully. 

Jasie was saying something. "Hmm?" I asked.

"I said, any progress on the project with Mason?" 

Even without his presence I can't escape him. "Not really. I've got some information but not much. Ms. Chase wants the project done by next week." I sighed, "I don't know how I'll do it. He he hides basically everything. And I mean everything.

Jasie clicked her tounge, "Not everything." She raised her eyebrows.

I shot her a glare full of malice and she backed down. We didn't speak for the rest of the meal, or day for that matter. 

That night after thinking I sent a message to Mason:

Me: I've decided how we're going to finish this stupid project. 

Me: I'm going to write a report on myself, and you'll do the same.

Me: It's due next week, and I would like it at least two days in advance. 

Me: Don't screw this up. 

No replies came through his side as I fell into sleep that night, dreaming of talking to the thunder with my great grandma tears stinging my eyes.