Chapter 62 - Out of the Dark

Start from the beginning

The Auror presence was obvious and pointed, which also seemed to help.

[One attack,] Harry said silently, [all it took was one attack for everything to change.]

[It's not just you anymore,] Draco replied. [Now they all understand too.]

Harry turned to look at him.

[Don't you think that's rather harsh?]

[No,] Draco replied. [You've been dealing with this for years.]

Harry frowned, but didn't reply, going back to surveying the platform instead.

His shields were as low as Harry dared let them go, Draco could feel it, and he upped his mental support. He didn't like how hard Harry was working, but he also knew that sometimes what Harry could see meant the difference between life and death, so he wasn't about to argue. Voldemort had declared war on the Wizarding World, clearly and deliberately. Now they had to deal with the consequences.

Draco was so busy making sure Harry didn't overtax himself more than necessary, that he didn't notice Tonks until she was almost up to them.

[Harry, incoming,] he said quickly.

He knew Tonks wouldn't touch Harry deliberately, especially at a time like this, but he was also all too aware she was quite capable of falling over thin air.

"Tonks," Harry said, as he turned at the warning, "I didn't think you were going to be here."

They had all been briefed on which Aurors were playing babysitters. Tonks' name had not been on the list.

"I'm not, officially," Tonks replied with a smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Draco had a bad feeling.

"What is it?" he asked, in no mood to play games.

She passed him a note.

"Albus flooed this to HQ," Tonks said. "He asked me to deliver it as soon as the train arrived."

She said nothing else, which was telling. Draco was well aware his cousin was a chatty sort. He opened the paper.

"Draco, Harry,

"my apologies for interrupting your plans, but I am afraid I must ask you to return to Hogwarts immediately, rather than visiting the Burrow. A matter has arisen which requires your presence. Please do not worry, it is not a life threatening issue, but I believe it best we discuss it as soon as possible.

"Yours,

"Albus"

[We're needed at Hogwarts,] he told Harry as soon as he'd read the message.

[Why?]

[It doesn't say,] Draco replied, [but it has to be important.]

"You know what this is about, don't you," Draco said, looking at Tonks.

"I do," she replied, "but I'm not allowed to talk about it here."

No matter Dumbledore's assurances, that was nothing if not ominous.

They had a portkey to get back to Hogwarts for once they had visited with Ron and his family. To be extra safe, this one could only be activated by Harry's magic, but it looked like that precaution was unnecessary because they would be using it straight away. It was not a great start to the Easter holidays.

~*~

"I have no father. The only way I am ever going to be in the same room as that man ever again is to convict him or see him buried."

The anger was rolling through Draco in waves. They were so strong Harry had to dim their connection or be swept right along with him. He could not believe what Narcissa had just asked her son.

When they had returned to Hogwarts they had gone straight to Dumbledore's office. After they had first walked in Draco had been delighted to see his mother, but any of that sentiment had been burned away by complete fury. Narcissa was there to ask them to visit Lucius with her in St Mungo's.

Harry had never seen his soulmate so furious about Lucius, upset yes, furious no, not since Draco had declared that any relationship they may have had was over. That Draco had gone from happy to apoplectic in a heartbeat was so unlike his usually controlled lover that it had taken Harry completely by surprise. It was worse than when Draco had protected him from Vernon, and almost as bad as when Draco had snapped and attacked Zacharius after they first bonded.

As soon as he could gather his wits he stepped up behind Draco and placed a gentle hand on each of Draco's shoulders. Leaning in, he rested his face beside Draco's ear.

[It's okay, Love,] he said silently, sending love and comfort down their bond, [you do not have to see him.]

Draco was so worked up that he was actually shaking, but Harry felt it begin to ease at his touch. He stroked a hand down Draco's arm in a soothing gesture.

"Draco, my darling," Narcissa said, walking over, clearly upset by the distress she was causing her son, "you know I would not ask this of you unless I believed it was important. I did not believe either, I was sure it was some trick, but I have visited your father five times, and he was finally strong enough for the Ministry to test him with Veritaserum and other truth diving methods. The Aurors have supervised everything. Lucius really does not remember anything about Voldemort, or his involvement with him. The last memory he has of you is at fourteen, before this madness really began."

"He gave Tom Riddle's diary to Ginny Weasley when we were twelve," Harry pointed out, as unwilling to give in to the idea as Draco was.

"Which is something else he does not remember," Draco's mother insisted. "Every piece of dark magic has been purged from his system. He knows what an Unforgivable is, but he does not remember how to cast one. He is the man I fell in love with, not the Death Eater that he became."

Her tone was so earnest and her demeanour so pleading for understanding that Harry almost faltered, but the anger was still bubbling in Draco. He would not go against his soulmate, not in this.

[Let's go,] he said silently, unwilling to let Draco say anything he might later regret.

"Harry," Dumbledore finally entered the conversation as they turned to leave, "Draco, I am sorry to place this burden on you, but I must second Narcissa's request. Lucius' dark mark has been removed; he has been tested to the full ability of the Ministry; but I believe there is only one way to be sure of the truth of this situation, and that is for Harry to see him. If what appears to have been achieved is true then it has consequences far greater than simply that one man sits in St Mungo's purged of everything dark. The greatest threat from dark magic is that it is addictive; once a practitioner starts it begins to twist them. If it is possible to remove all trace then there may be hope for those considered lost to the light."

Harry froze in place at Albus' words and had to stifle the desire to lash out himself. There were very few things that could have made him even consider going to St Mungo's, but that was one of them, and the headmaster had to have known it. There were certain psychological buttons made into Harry's psyche and Albus knew how to push them when he needed to. He could do nothing about his reactions, even with a Slytherin soulmate.

"We'll think about it," Draco spoke before Harry had a chance.

Harry wanted to say no, the manipulation was making him angry, but Draco just looked at him. He didn't want to say anything he would regret either, so he remained silent as they headed towards the door.