Chapter 32

The rest of the trip, Felix and Kalea sat awkwardly face-to-face in the garbage truck that now had to detour through the entire city because of the explosion. Felix felt bad about throwing Kalea off of the roof without warning and Kalea felt bad that she couldn't come up with a good topic to break the ice. After a few moments of silence, Felix spoke up. 'We could go back to- To, uhm...'

'Richard?', Kalea gestured.

'Yeah, and the rest,' Felix continued. Kalea pulled her gaze away from him. She didn't want to go back there. They'd treat both of them like kids and wouldn't listen anyway. She slowly shook her head. 'I don't want to go back,' she murmured. The sun was setting slowly and all the streetlamps were beginning to turn on. It'd been a long day and she really didn't want any more whining from other people on her mind. 'What you want doesn't matter right now,' Felix said firmly. Kalea didn't expect the sudden change of character. In the blink of an eye, Felix had covered his face with a mature mask, trying to be so much braver than he actually was. Felix got the idea as if Kalea wasn't listening and sharpened his tone. 'Do you understand why? We nearly got killed just now! We need to discuss this with someone. We cannot hide.'

'But maybe we should think this through? You know, together?'

'Think this through...How? We're in a garbage truck, we nearly exploded and I saved your life.'

'You pushed me off a building,' Kalea said calmly.

'Exactly,' Felix sighed. This day had gone wildly enough and all he could think about was finding an adult to tell their story to. Someone who could do something about it. What if they had died? He didn't want to think about it. After a while, the garbage truck had come to a halt. 'I think this is our stop,' Kalea said as she stood up. Felix followed her as they both climbed their way out of the truck and quickly hid behind a small wall before the driver could see them. There wasn't anyone near them so they quickly made their way away from the truck. 'So, where are we?', Kalea asked, not ever seen this neighborhood before. 'It's near our school, so we're not too far away from the others.'

Since Felix probably knew the way better than her, Kalea let him lead the way. 'Do you still know which house we're supposed to be at?', she asked when she started to recognize the street and the architectural appearances of the houses. 'Yeah, the one on the corner,' Felix said as he firmly quickened his step. It was hard to see anything at all since this street wasn't provided with the best street lamps. They both crossed the street and walked up to the house on the corner. Thomas' car was parked before it and there were lights on inside. 'I wanna ring it!', Kalea commanded as she shot forward and reached for the bell. A loud ding-dong filled the silent street as they both waited anxiously for the door to open.

                                                                                       -------------------

Richard and Scarlett were already packing themselves to leave when the doorbell rang. Their backpacks were filled with water, knives, one gun for each and a flashlight. Both of them were expected to wear gloves, since they didn't want to leave any trace behind. August had also provided both of them with sound-absorbing boots. Even if they jumped on the ground as hard as they could, they wouldn't make a single noise. Scarlett had her curly hair pulled back in a ponytail and Richard had put on his own glasses. He'd explained to August and Thomas how they worked; they would be able to see everything he could see and it was also possible to talk through the glasses. Way more effective and safer than a walkie-talkie in Richards opinion. When the loud noise of the bell filled the house, they both looked at each other in confusion and watched how Thomas walked up the stairs. No one had any idea who would stand in front of their house so late at night but they were sure that if it was dangerous, Thomas could handle it alone. His hips were already starting to hurt from walking up and down the stairs so many times in one day, but he didn't complain. Thomas walked slowly towards the door and had all his senses sharpened. Once he opened it, he saw Felix and Kalea looking eagerly at him. He should have known they'd come back. He sighed and he stepped away so they could come in the house. None of them spoke but Thomas led them down to the cellar, where the rest was waiting for Thomas to come back. When they saw the couple most of them sighed and had an irritating look on their face. They didn't want Felix and Kalea in here. Not now.