Chapter 13

Scarlett was rummaging through the room surrounded by hundreds of envelopes and propagated unpaid rent. The room she had found herself in had turned out to be a secret storage of debts. And it wasn't good. The only thing illuminating the room was the flickering light in the hallway. She'd come in her with the hope to find something, well, she didn't really know what to find in the secret cellar in the training base were dozens of weapons were stored.

There were dozens, maybe hundreds of envelopes that claimed they still had to receive money from Mr. AW Addams.

Who was that person? Was is someone acquainted with her father, or Thomas? She opened a random drawer in the desk and cut herself onto something sharp as soon as she put her hand in there. She didn't really mind but searched with her hand what is was that had cut her. Her hand grabbed something plastic and hard and pulled it out the drawer. Even though her eyes started to reinsure themselves to the darkness and she shouldn't have been able to see a lot, she could make out a videotape. She tripped and nearly fell when she crawled her way back to the hallway. With no further ado, she hid the tape in her sweater and walked back towards the training room. Once into the safe sand of the fighting pit the wall behind her started to shut once again. She climbed out of the pit and quietly sneaked up the stairs to her room. There she unpacked the tape from her sweater and put it in her video player.

'If you are watching this I am probably dead.'

Her television screen flashed and showed a middle-aged man sitting in a wooden chair surrounded by dozens of experimental necessities. He had dark brown hair and tired, hazel eyes. He looked horrible, as if he hadn't slept in a month.

'How cliché,' Scarlett thought by herself. She didn't know why and she wasn't even sure, but she thought she'd seen him before. Perhaps when she was younger.

He held up a serum in his left hand so that it was visible on screen. It was contained in a glass flat-bottomed laboratory flask with a narrow neck and was slightly turning from green to red. The screen flashed for a moment and switched to a wooden table where a great, iron machine was placed.

'Many have tried to complete this experiment without success, but I believe I can make it work. All you had to have was a complete serum,' he said as his hands showed the flask once again. He quietly poured it in and Scarlett could almost hear the anxiety running through the man's veins. The screen flashed again and showed the machine at its fullest power. It was shaking and making high pitched noises. The screen flashed and Scarlett saw how the camera was now pointed again at the man who looked quite pleased with himself. Scarlett saw how a zephyr went through the man's face and hair and he grabbed something from off the table. The screen flashed.

The man was now seen with a small object in his arms; about the size of a baby. The man looked down to the object and laughed from relieve.

'I did it,' he exclaimed, 'I really did it!'

He showed the object in his hands and, confirming Scarlett's calculations about what he was holding, he held a baby. It was lying in his arms as he slowly cradled it with a smile. The baby's eyes were still closed but nevertheless the child looked strong and powerful. As if it would wake up any moment and kick down that building. The screen didn't flash anymore instead, Scarlett watched how the man kept smiling and crying to the child in his arms. Scarlett couldn't help but feel the joy the man was feeling. He seemed to her like a lonely man that always wanted a kid or something. He stroked the baby's head, looked at the camera and immediately turned back to the child. 'You're my little one,' he said, 'my little Scarlett Addams.'