Chapter 3

It was quite early in the morning but Scarlett was already outside of the house. She didn't want to wake her dad, who had been up till late night. Normally he'd ride her to school but today she preferred to walk. School was hell. It always had been.

It was the first day of school after summer break. Scarlett could almost imagine the headline of the school newspaper:

Scarlett Wood; mad terrorist or high junkie?

She didn't have high expectations anyway. What were they supposed to think of a girl who just got out of prison?

But she had to laugh at the thought of all the freshmen who'd all try to avoid her and look at her in awe. She sun was beginning to rise, but the temperatures were already perfect for a morning scroll. She knew how everyone was going to talk about her, she just hoped no one would talk to her. She didn't really had control over her legs. Her legs walked and walked, nonstop. It was a nice feeling to do something without thinking about it. She sighed. It was just the first day of school, she wasn't going to die.

Suddenly, she heard a loud but distant sound. Like the engine of a car that was getting closer. Right before she knew it a yellow Lamborghini passed by her. But just when she thought it was going to pass by, it stopped with a loud step on the breaks. Scarlett continued walking, begging it didn't stop for her. The window of the car opened and brown-haired girl with red lipstick and way too many make-up looked judging and Scarlett. 'Oh well, if it isn't Scarlett the problem child,' she said and some girls in the back that had just as many make-up on their face giggled but immediately turned back to their phones when they were done. 'Hello Eliza, how're you doing?', Scarlett asked without much enthusiasm in her voice.

Eliza rolled with her eyes and sighed with this, really annoyed sound to it.

'Perhaps you should keep rolling your eyes,' Scarlett whispered to Eliza as she took a step closer to the window, 'perhaps you'll find a brain in there.'

It took quite a while for Eliza to understand what Scarlett said to her but once she wanted to comment, Scarlett was already walking again. She heard how the car started the engine once again and watched how it passed her by with high speed. She grinned. There honestly couldn't be a better start of the year than to burn off Eliza's tongue.

She walked around the corner of the street and saw the school building. There were already quite some kids on school, even if it was that early. Probably freshmen's and people who'd register to clubs and stuff. She walked up the steps and looked at the large banner that was hang above the main entrance.

Welcome to Oakriver High!

Scarlett's gaze fled upon the parking lot, where Eliza and dozens of her 'friends' were screaming and smoking on top of her Lamborghini. She walked inside and found herself in a busy hallway, full of people hanging up flyers or fighting over lockers. She sighed. Really nothing had changed since she left school last year. Everyone was still a four-year old. She silently walked through the hall and picked out a locker in the calmest corner. She pulled out the key and opened it. It was empty, of course.

This was going to be her little safe space. There where things were her own and no one else could reach. For now, she left it empty and closed it once again. She put the key back in and locked it, keeping the key for herself. Classes were about to start soon if she was right. She walked back to the main hall and looked around for a schedule. Perhaps they weren't hung up yet. But when she saw a group of students gathering around a pillar, she knew she had to be there. She pushed herself forward through the crowd and got a glimpse of her schedule this morning. Great, music class.

She shoved back out of the crowd and started walking to the stairway on her left. The school was slowly beginning to fill itself with students and you could feel the tension of the beginning of another schoolyear. Some were eager to begin but some were just about ready to throw themselves of a bridge. The fourth floor was filled with all the creative stuff. The art classes which were full of paintings and easels. The dance classes; full of mirrors and dance bars. And the music classes; the place where Scarlett felt home most. It was full of musical instruments, microphones, boxes and lots of electronical stuff which Scarlett had no idea what they did. She dropped her backpack and immediately walked up to Mr. Rogers, who was sitting behind the piano and tried to play a tune he didn't seem to understand. Once he noticed Scarlett stood behind him, he looked up. 'Ah, miss Wood. Glad you could make it,' he said without any care. Having said that, he turned back to the piano and didn't pay Scarlett any more attention. Scarlett sighed and went back to her seat. This was because of the accident. Normally, Mr. Rogers was very kind to her. Calling her his best student. But she wasn't sure if anyone could ever look at her the same way now.

The room was already filled with lots of people and more were entering every moment. Scarlett sat down and pulled out her music folder. It was full of sheet music for the guitar and piano. It took quite a while, but after that while the school bell rang loudly through the building.