Chapter 15

As the sun was setting and street lights were starting to turn on to illuminate the cold, moonless night, August found himself in a trance. He sat on his knees in Scarlett's room. Her video player was jamming and a certain movement on screen was repeating itself a dozen times.

'You're my little on- You're my little one- My lit- Scarlett Addams!'

August sighed as he saw his brother playing with the tiny baby in his arms over and over again. The baby didn't cry and had its bright green eyes open, as if it could see billions of years into the future. If August had seen his brother on street nowadays he'd had given him what he deserved right away, but here Raphael looked happy; not influenced by any psychotic thoughts or power beyond imagine. All the things Raphael could do were at first a fruit to the eye but now all August could see was the damage he did with it.

The door to the room opened and August snapped away from the TV. In the doorway stood Thomas; tired and worn as if he had just played a football game and he was the only good player in his team.

'Did you find her?', August asked immediately. It was until this moment that he realized how desperate he was to see Scarlett again. She'd gone missing the day before and no one had any clue where she possibly could've gone. Thomas shook his head and gave a deep sigh. The two remained silent until Thomas faltered out of the room.

August got up and once again stared at the screen.

He didn't know what to do anymore. He had lent money to rebuild the cellar for Scarlett's sake, he hadn't gathered all of the money yet, people became impatient and now Scarlett was missing from the globe. He let out a big sigh and burried his face in his hands. He didn't have the situation under control at all. Not to mention all things his brother could be scheming right now. He looked up, found the remote and turned the television off. He didn't need to waste his time on watching what had already happened. He needed to find Scarlett.

  __________________________  

Scarlett's eyes were lifeless as she pulled out a small knife out of her backbag. She remembered the video she'd seen yesterday. After seeing it she didn't know what she had to do. She didn't even think about the video but more about August. She didn't know why, it just seemed like the only logical thing to think about. She had put small knives and one collapsible sword in her backpack. She had taken out a dark-grey hoodie and covered her face with a black cloth. When all was done, she had silently grasped her backpack and slid out of the window. Now she was here, one day later with a few crumbled letters of the money providers in her hand. In the distance, stood an enormous mansion which made the whole street look old and slap. Its garden was enlightened by hundreds of lights and Scarlett concluded these were fireflies. Two figures walked up to the house and stopped in front of the fence. Scarlett shuffled closer to the figures to be able to hear what they were saying. She didn't know who they were, but if they lived in that mansion they were probably rich. And if they were rich that meant they'd have money.

Money to pay debts.

She hid behind a large trashcan and spied on the figures. It was a boy and a girl; with the girl in a wheelchair. And luckily, she could hear their voices.

'I'm not sure about this, are you sure you're going to be okay?', the boy asked the girl.

'No,' she replied as she suspiciously scanned the area and sniffed her nose. 'There's someone out there,' she said eventually.

The boy looked around, confused, and smiled. 'It's probably just a stray cat.'

'No,' the girl said again, 'I know this scent.'

Scarlett tensed and held her breath. What did she meant when she said she knew that scent?

The girl pushed her wheelchair away from the fence, away from the house and the boy obediently followed. 'I told you, it's probably nothing.'

Scarlett hid her head behind the trashcan and took off her backpack. There she reached for her collapsible sword. It slowly started to rain and Scarlett cursed silently to herself. This would blur her hearing senses. She could hear the girl approach as she was mumbling to herself. 'Where have I smelled this scent before? Where- Who?'

Scarlett released her breath, closed her eyes and let the adrenaline kick in. She took off the cloth from her face. This girl had money, everything else didn't matter. She walked out of the shadows while the rain started pouring down on her. The boy and girl looked up at her in surprise and sharpened their attention. Her face wasn't too be seen, as she wore a large hood over her head and a cloth covering her face. Once she was close enough, she pulled out a small object that collapsed into a large sword and raised her chin challenging. 'I'm going to need your money.'