Chapter 6 - First Day... Cold as Ice?!

Chapter 6 – First Day... Cold as Ice?!

We were all stood, staring in awe, wonder and slight apprehension, at the beast of an obstacle course in front of us all. We had made our way down past the log cabins and to the end of the path, which took us a little way into the woods. Apparently, all the obstacle courses and trials were hidden in the woods, so we wouldn’t sneak around them to try them out, or try to suss out how to do them before we were meant to. Hah! As if I would do that. Well, if I would have, at last I wouldn’t make a complete fool of myself, like I’m bound to do at some point.

We all got now why the button being covered in ice was a clue. The obstacle course was an ice and water course. Ice and water. It’s completely unreal. Instead of things like mud pits to wade through, there were patches of ice that I would undoubtedly fall over whilst crossing. Or an ice cool water bath to wade through. This is going to be hell.

Then The Trunch spoke up, “We have decided that to save time and do the course dorm by dorm, or else it would be too messy. So, today is a dorm room effort, but it’s the best dorm that wins overall. You’re probably still confused. I will let Officer Goole explain.”

We all turned to the rather small, round man and awaited his explanation, “Right, ok. So, each of you is going to work with your roommates to beat other dorms. You will each go against all the other dorms at once, according to your room number. Therefore, if you are in room 1A, you will go against all other letter A rooms, so dorm 2A, 3A, 4A etc. and so on. The objective is to be one of the first three teams, out of 15, to get over the finishing line. If you don’t come in first, second or third, then you are unfortunately out. If you do come in first, second or third, you will then progress into the semi-finals, after each dorm letter has gone against all other dorm rooms with the same letter. You will go in rounds, dorms 1-5 will go against each other. Then dorms 6-10, then 10-15. After that the first three teams from each section, will then go into the finals, against each other, where obviously the people who cross the line first, will win overall.” He took a deep breath; even just talking seemed to wear him out, Christ! “Like Officer Trunch said, this is a dorm effort too, however. So the team that wins gets a special surprise for their entire dorm. Also, as some of you may know, every time a dorm wins a major challenge, like this one, they will get a point. At the end of the summer, the points will be added up and the dorm with the highest number of points wins overall.”

“Yes. Thank you for that Officer Goole.” The Trunch said. “But moreover, to win, all of your team must cross the line together; you must work as a team. No one can be left behind, even if you have to carry them. Part of this exercise is to get you all thinking and helping each other as teams, learn sportsman ship and learn to be a team player. Also, within each dorm, there is one room with two people in and one room with four. In a room of four, one person must join the room of two and then stay with that team in all challenges from now on.” She waited for awhile and then took a deep, excited breath and exclaimed, “Now. Everyone in a letter ‘A’ room, come to the starting line, oh and everyone is not allowed to watch other rooms compete because the people in later room letters would have an advantage, but once you’ve done the challenge, you can stay and watch.”

Everyone split up. People in rooms A went with Officer Trunch, everyone else worriedly followed Officer Goole to a clearing, where you couldn’t see what was happening. After a few minutes we heard a starting gun. Ok, it’s probably only me that’s nervous, but I am really, really nervous. I mean, I don’t have any balance, can’t walk on flat land, let alone ice covered not flat land. I’m going to make a fool out of myself, I know it.