The Freshman loves the Sophomore (7)

The whole next week Cal and I got really close. We held hands in the hall, hugged, and put our arms around each other. It wasn’t anything too over the top like making out or anything like you see in the movies and in some of the older couples at school but it was cute and we were happy.
Carson's also been getting closer to Tiffany. They're officially going out... again. But I have noticed that he's been staring at me when I'm with Cal. I’ve caught him doing that quite a few times. I know he's jealous, I can feel it. That's the only reason he's back with Tiffany- to try and make me jealous back.
After two weeks of Cal and I being together, Carson snapped. I don’t think he could keep seeing me being happy with a guy other than him.
Carson noticed Cal hugging me one Monday in the cafeteria at lunch. Out of the blue, he stood up on one of the lunch tables and pointed at us.
"Hey!" Carson yelled.
The cafeteria went silent. No one even moved.
I felt my cheeks get warm. I knew I was turning bright red.
Cal scooted away from me a little bit and looked at me confused. “What’s going on?” He mouthed to me. “Is he OK?”
"Tiffany, I'm sorry but I don't like you. It's over." Carson shouted to Tiffany in a harsh tone. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor girl.
Tiffany turned red too. She just kind of broke down all of a sudden. Tears came to her eyes and she ran out crying. Two of her friends chased after her.
"Sophie!" Carson continued. He had a sweet, calmer look on his face. "I honestly think I'm in love with you."
I my mouth dropped. I was scared how Cal would react. I glanced at him and he just looked really confused about what was going on. Honestly, I wouldn’t blame him. I was confused too. This was so random of Carson.
All the girls said "Awe" together and looked at me.
I looked up at Carson but said nothing. I couldn’t find the right words to say to him.
Carson got off the table and walked towards me.
I turned around and watched him.
Carson leaned close to me and pressed his lips to mine.
I closed my eyes and felt the magic. I didn’t fight off the kids but I didn’t kiss back.
He pulled away after a few seconds and just stared into my eyes.
Cal was finally paying attention. His jaw dropped too and he glared at me. He was in complete shock.
All the girls said "Awe" again. Damn, they were getting annoying.
"What was that for?" I whispered to Carson, confused about the kiss.
Carson looked at me with his fantastic smile. "I told you, I love you."
I blushed and turned away.
Carson didn't mind that I didn't say anything back. He just walked away.
Cal bumped my arm. "Sophie...” His voice was shaky and he looked upset. “Why did you let him kiss you?"
I opened my mouth to talk but nothing came out. I didn’t want to hurt Cal but I also didn’t want to lie to him.
"I knew you didn't really like me. You just wanted to make him jealous." Cal hissed.
"No..." I mumbled. "I..."
Cal shook his head. "Stop, I'm not talking to you anymore." He snapped at me. “I’m furious, Sophie. How could you do this to me? We’re supposed to be best friends. Or was all that a lie too? Did you plan on hurting me?”
“Cal...” I said softly. “I’m so sorry.
“Just stop, Sophie.” He gave me a nasty look and then got up and left.
I sighed, feeling sad, and put my head down on the table. I didn’t want to deal with all these people right now. I knew tons of them were going to confront me and ask what was going on and did I like Carson and millions of other things. All I needed was some time alone to think.
Why did I have to screw everything up?