She stopped visiting her parents and settled with just owling them, saying she was too busy with school and life to visit. She didn’t want her mother or father to worry over her and made her letters seem happy, made her seem happy. Ever since that night with Draco, something snapped within her. She wasn’t angry, and she stopped mopping and crying after the first few days, she was just dull. She didn’t know how to feel. She didn’t know whether to be angry and furious or sad and disappointed. But she felt odd, she felt abandoned although she knew that made no sense whatsoever.

During her patrols Terence tried to make conversation and cheer her up but she barely acknowledged him. After the second week he simply stopped trying, seeing that his hopes in conversation were in vain. Theodore however refused to give up on her and their friendship and sat with her in the common rooms most times even though barely any words were said between them, but he was there for her and he thought that was something.  Hermione wanted to tell him she was thankful for his friendship but she didn’t have the voice anymore.

Draco was further ignored and hated because many thought he did something to hurt Hermione, and in a way they were correct. He seemed to drift into the background and many forgot him completely and when they did acknowledge him they sent him dirty looks, looks that could kill. He hated seeing Hermione so dull and he hated it even more when he saw her snogging random boys, but he bit his tongue and simply walked the other way.

He kept up his studies and remained the top of the class however not satisfied knowing that Hermione was still better than him and hating it even more that he wasn’t winning the title fairly. He also had two more meetings with his father and the death eaters and recruiting had begun. Draco didn’t know how they were doing it undetected but they were nonetheless.

He hated the fact that his life was doing a complete U-turn. He thought that when the Dark Lord died he would regain his previous life back somewhat, but it seemed that it only made it worse. Now here he was still a death eater, too afraid to declare he wasn’t and turn against his father. He was also scared that the Dark Lord was in fact still alive and that was another reason why he convinced himself ignoring Hermione was for the best. He could never tell her about what was going on and if she were to find out that he had been keeping such information from her she would hate him, it was better to speed up the process by having her already hate him, it would cause her less pain.

Draco didn’t know when he started actually caring for her but he finally admitted to himself that he did care for her and that was why it was best he kept his distance. The less he had to do with her the less she was involved and the less she would get hurt in the end. He owed her that much, he owed her, her safety after all she gave him. She saved him and Goyle during the war, she forgave him for all he had done, she befriended him, and she saw past his cold and cruel exterior and saw who he really was.

Draco’s POV

“Draco, come,” I heard my mother’s voice call me from the den of the manor. I walked towards the sound of her voice hearing my footsteps echo off the walls.