Chapter 23

Thomas kissed the boy gently and pulled him to his chest, to which the boy happily nuzzled. James smiled at the two and Philip saw him kneel down and kiss the stone as well.

"Thank you Martha...", James whispered, standing back up and grabbing Thomas's hand.

As they stood there, in the sunset, a breeze blew over them, rustling the leaves on the tree, and Philip could swear he heard a sweet, gentle voice whispering, "Of course my loves..." in the wind.

He looked at Thomas, who had a peaceful look on his face, eyes closed, smiling gently, letting the wind blowing his curls around and the sun wash over him. James looked onwards, overseeing the valley below in the setting sun.

As the wind slowly died down, Jefferson gently guided them back to the house, pulling them to the couch.

Philip fell beside Thomas and curled into his side. James smiled and sat next to the Vice President and nuzzled his neck.

"What were you doing?", the boy asked James, who smiled.

"She's the one who knew about us. She'd been organizing some of my papers and she found the letters. She sat me down and we talked. She was happy to give us her permission...", Thomas said, smiling gently.

"Oh.", Philip said, cuddling close to Thomas. The Vice President smiled.

"You know, I talked to her when you first came to me...", Thomas said, smiling gently. "I told her about the affair and you. I tell her everything, and I feel like she guides me. When she was dying, she told me I should never be alone."

"She was right...", James said, holding Thomas's hand. The poofy hair man smiled, remembering how many times James was there for him in his grieving. The boy curled into his lap, purring and falling asleep. Thomas smiled and picked the boy up, walking him to bed and laying him down.

James climbed into bed next to the boy and held him, also falling asleep. Thomas smiled at the two and made sure they were asleep before shrugging his coat on and walked back out to Martha's grave, kneeling in front of it again.

"Am I doing ok?", he asked the grave. "Are you still with me? Am I doing the best I can for James and Philip? Help me... please... I'm... I'm lost...", he said hoarsely, wiping tears that started to fall again.

A familiar figure walked up the path and gently laid its hand on his shoulder. "You're doing so well, my love..."

Thomas looked up and Martha was standing there. Her body was translucent, with a blue glow gently radiating from her. She gently kneeled next to him and kissed him.

He couldn't feel it, but he could imagine the familiar pressure, and it didn't stop him from kissing back, tears slipping from his eyes.

Martha smiled and gently cupped her husband's face, kissing back for a minute before pulling away and smiling gently at him. "Sweetheart, you're not lost... You're finding yourself. I know you're doing everything in your power to help Jemmy, and now the Hamilton boy. You've done enough, my love. Let go, stop worrying. Anything you do, I'm here with you, darling. Always.", she said, chuckling softly.

Thomas reached up to place his hand over the one on his cheek and found he could touch her. He sobbed quietly and nuzzled her hand, kissing her palm. "But... am I doing my best to protect Philip and Jemmy? Am I on the right path, Martha?"

"I know you've always been trying to help everyone, Tom. You're doing amazing, my love. I'm so proud of you...", she said, kissing his forehead. He closed his eyes and sobbed quietly.

She smiled gently. "Oh no, Tom... There's no need for tears...", she said, gently wiping away tears.

"I love you...", he choked out, holding her hand to his chest, kissing it.

"I love you too, Tom... always, my love...", she said, kissing his forehead. He sighed and closed his eyes, holding her hand. A gentle breeze enveloped him and he felt her hand slip away. When he opened his eyes, she was gone.

He stood up, looking up at the stars, smiling gently and letting the wind dry his tears and he walked back to the house and climbed into bed with his lovers.

Sickness, Freckles, and Magenta (ON HIATUS AND SLOW UPDATES)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें