Chapter 15

Days passed. Philip started his classes, taking a carriage from Monticello to campus. James won his side of the current debate in the House. Thomas was dealing with some more of Adams's crap.

In class that day, Philip took one look at the homework and decided he'd need James's opinion because it was on Congress and their executive powers, and what implied rights do they have. Even though he knew James didn't like implied power, and neither did Thomas, but they were professionals.

When he took the carriage home, he found he was the first to arrive home. He sighed and pulled his book out of his bag and settled in at the table.

He got the intro to his paper done in the 20 minutes it took from the time he got home to the time it took James and Thomas to arrive. And by intro, I mean his name, the date, and the title.

The young man looked up to see James and Thomas in the entryway, sharing a small kiss. They noticed Philip a minute later and sat down next to him.

"What is it today?", Jefferson asked, sliding his book closer to him to read the homework.

"Congress, executive powers, implied powers. 3 pages.", Philip groaned, flopping his head down onto his paper, not realizing the ink was still wet. He groaned again when he realized he had ink on his face. James rubbed his back sympathetically. He went through this too, and had a nervous breakdown.

"Well James and I were both in Congress at one point, I'm sure we could help.", Thomas said. Philip picked his head up, an ink smudge across his forehead.

"Please?", he asked.

"Of course, love. We'll help you.", James said, getting up to get a wet cloth and gently cleaning the ink off Philip forehead.

"But I thought you were against-"

"Just because we don't like it, doesn't mean we don't understand it.", Thomas said softly. "What do you want to know?"

"Um... Well, I kind of understand the idea of implied powers? And I know some of the executive powers of Congress...", Philip said, shyly, slightly embarrassed to be asking such simple questions to a couple of the most politically powerful men in the country.

Jefferson pulled him into his lap.

"Baby boy, there's no reason to be ashamed about that. Not a lot of common people know about politics. They only know the bare minimum. That's why you're taking these classes to learn.", he said gently, stroking Philip's hair.

Philip leaned against Thomas, resting his head back against Jefferson's shoulder so they could face the table. James sat across from them.

"So implied powers are powers that are exercised in Congress that are not specified in the Constitution but are used in necessary situations to enforce the stated rules.", James said. Philip hesitantly nodded.

"Can you see how that could turn into abuse of power?", Thomas asked the boy in his lap, running his hand through his hair. Philip nodded easily at that.

James kept asking him questions to flesh out his answer and Thomas helped him turn it into an essay. When Philip finished writing his last sentence, he realized he'd written one and a half pages on implied powers.

"Ready to move to the executive powers?", James asked. Philip nodded, leaning against Jefferson to listen.

"Article one of the Constitution states most of Congress' powers. Some of the Constitutional amendments give it additional powers.", Madison said, giving Philip time to write it down on his notes.

"Congress has the sole power to declare war, make rules for the military, and raise troops. On another note, they have the ability to make post offices and post roads, issue a patent or copyright, fix standards of weights and measures, establish courts inferior to the US Supreme Court. Article four of the Constitution give them the power to admit new states. They have the power to investigate the Executive branch and they have the impeachment power.", Thomas listed for Philip to write in his notes, wrapping an arm around the boy's waist. James looked at Jefferson.

"There's one more...", he said gently. Thomas sighed.

"Your daddy ain't gonna like this one, baby boy...", Thomas said.

"Congress has authority over financial and budgetary matters, through the power to lay and collect taxes. They have the sole power to appropriate funds.", James said quietly, looking down.

Philip was a little shocked, but as Thomas fleshed it out a little more, he found it made sense. They kept talking, adding to Philip's notes, building structure and tweaking things before Thomas helped him work it into the essay.

When he finished, he realized he'd written 7 pages. He didn't even know he'd run out of paper, James must've put some more by him. Thomas picked it up and started reading it.

"Wow. You really do come with the Hamilton brain. I'd give this full marks.", Jefferson said, kissing the young man's neck. Philip giggled and blushed. "And technically, I could."

James smiled at them and took the papers from Jefferson and started reading.

"Are you sure you don't want to be a Congressman?", James asked, impressed with his boy's writing. Philip giggled again, happy to have impressed his lovers.

"Maybe...", he murmured, turning to hide his blush in Jefferson's shoulder. James smiled and walked over to them and kissed the boy's head and stroked his shoulder.

"Is that everything?", Madison asked lightly. Philip nodded.

"English was just reading and history was notes.", he said as his stomach growled. Thomas chuckled.

"Shall I make dinner?", he offered. Philip nodded.

"C-can you... teach me?", he stuttered out, still a bit embarrassed. Thomas threw his head back and laughed. James chuckled at the sound of Thomas's beautiful laugh.

"Of course, baby boy. C'mere.", he said, pulling Philip into the kitchen, James staying behind to move Philip's school stuff before joining his lovers in the kitchen.