Chapter 22

When there was a break in the conversation, James walked in. "Thomas said he was making tea, would any of you like some?", he asked. Eliza and Alexander nodded.

"Yes please.", Eliza smiled. James smiled and nodded. He left and found Thomas making Philip's favorite tea, with honey and lemon.

"Both wanted some tea.", he said, gently nuzzling Thomas's arm. The Vice President smiled and made another two cups of tea. James took out Philip's cup and handed it to the boy, rubbing his back and smiling gently. Philip purred.

Alexander glared. He just didn't like the fact that James and Thomas got along with his son so well. He didn't like that they chose to help him so much. Sure, he cared about his son's education, but of all people, why Jefferson and Madison, the founders of the school?

Thomas came out with the tea and handed it to Eliza and Hamilton. He and James sat down on the couch next to Philip.

"Thank you.", she said, smiling at him.

"No, thank you. For the turkey and gracing my home with your presence. Most times, I'd be alone at this time...", Thomas said, falling silent. James grabbed his hand, grounding the Vice President.

"Where's your wife?", Alexander asked. Thomas looked at him, tears falling at an alarming rate, tightly holding Madison's hand. A strike of fear and shock shot through Philip and he deliberated reaching out to his lover.

Alexander seemed to realize his mistake and kept quiet to avoid making him any more upset.

"H-here...", Jefferson said shakily, sniffling and holding a locket around his neck tightly. "She's... here... always..."

Eliza gasped and tears gathered in her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Jefferson... Was she nice?", she asked gently.

Thomas nodded, wiping his eyes and sighing. He pointed to a picture. "She's there...", he choked, tears still flowing down his face. "And then... Oh God... t-then the... children... T-they just... w-were gone", he sobbed.

Eliza knew Jefferson's pain, by now she was crying with him. Philip couldn't help himself, he scooted over and wrapped his arms around Thomas, hugging him tightly. Alexander looked on, thinking Philip was comforting his tutor.

James rubbed Thomas's back and explained what had happened.

"Three of the children didn't survive, and then Martha died from complications of childbirth in 1782. He was devastated and grieved for 6 weeks. And then while Thomas was in France, another of his daughters died.", he said, as Jefferson let out another sob of grief at the mention of his daughter.

"I-I took t-the job in... in France t-to get away... I promised her... I-I wouldn't remarry.", Thomas said quietly, furiously wiping tears that kept falling. Alexander thought back to when he had told Jefferson off for running to France during the war.

"We almost died in a trench while you were off getting high with the French"

"I'm sorry...", he said quietly. Thomas nodded and sighed, leaning into James. Eliza smiled sadly.

"We'll go, Mr. Jefferson... You seem like you would like to be left with Mr. Madison.", she said, getting up, Alexander following. She put their cups in the kitchen.

Thomas collected himself slowly, so by the time Eliza came back, he'd stopped crying. He got up.

"Oh, you don't have to... We can see ourselves out.", she said. He smiled at her.

"It's no trouble.", he said, getting her coat for her. She smiled.

"Thank you again, Mr. Jefferson. For everything.", she said. Alexander nodded in agreement.

"Thank you for stopping by.", he said, and they waved and hugged Philip one last time before getting in the carriage that was waiting.

When the door was closed, Philip tightly clung to Thomas and buried his face in his chest. The tall man smiled gently, petting the boy's hair.

"Hey, baby...", he said gently.

"I'm sorry... I didn't know...", he mumbled into his chest.

"It's ok, darling... it's not your fault... I rarely bring it up in conversation...", he said gently. Philip nodded and clung to him. James walked over and kissed Jefferson gently, caressing his cheek.

Thomas smiled and James went to the greenhouse and got a blue forget-me-not from one of the plants. Jefferson smiled and took it from him, slowly making his way outside to the garden, James following. Philip walked after them, curious as to what was happening.

James and Thomas stopped in the path and to the left there was a small garden area with a small path leading to a grey headstone in the center of the the semicircle of plants.

Thomas smiled gently at the sight. "Hi, sweetheart...", he murmured to the grave. Philip watched as James stood to the side of the grave and Thomas kneeled next to the grave.

He watched as Thomas spilled his heart to the grave, telling it everything as James looked on. When Jefferson finished talking, he leaned down and kissed the grave, laying the flower at the base of the stone.

James smiled gently and held his hand out. Thomas kept his eyes on the grave as he reached up and took James's hand, holding it loosely. James used his other hand to run his through Jefferson's hair.

Philip watched as James helped Jefferson up, the tall man still looking down until Madison cupped his cheek and turned his head, smiling gently and kissing him.

Thomas gently pulled his hand off his face and kissed his palm, slowly pulling away. James smiled and held out his other hand to the side, motioning for Philip to come. The boy smiled and grabbed his hand and Thomas kissed his head.

A/N: Someone hug Thomas Jefferson. Please.