Chapter 21

Thomas rolled up his sleeves and started to wash a head of lettuce and some potatoes. Eliza smiled, glad to not be the only one in the kitchen. She grabbed an apron and started making some bread.

James kept tutoring Philip, with interjections from Alexander along the way.

"And so, that means that it should only be used for executing the powers already granted.", James said, leafing through the boy's textbook.

"Says the one who opposed my bank.", Alexander grumbled from the corner. James turned and glared at him.

"Please, tell me where in the Constitution it say that one part of the country is allowed to exploit the banks of another.", he snapped. Alexander rolled his eyes.

"I didn't say they were written exactly in there... I said that it was reasonably related..."

"You said that the Necessary and Proper Clause applied to activities reasonably related to Constitutional powers, not just the ones that were needed to carry out the powers already listed. Also, I know what's in the Constitution. I wrote it."

"There's nothing in here that says that, about what he said...", Philip said, having been reading it while the two debated. Alexander groaned at being betrayed, by his own son.

"Philip why are you supporting him? Madison, you even wrote in support of implied powers when we wrote the Federalist papers."

"Because that's the assignment. It's a debate and I have to argue for strict interpretation.", Philip said.

"Also, we agreed that loose interpretation and implied powers were to be only used for executing the actual powers. That bank did not do that.", James countered.

Alexander opened his mouth to answer, but Eliza came out with a wooden spoon and whipped Alexander with it. "Your plan passed, didn't it? Stop picking fights. If you're not going to help Philip, then you can come and help me and Thomas in the kitchen.", she said. Alexander sighed and got up, following his wife. James and Philip grinned at each other and stole a small kiss when they were alone.

Alexander started to aggressively chop vegetables before Eliza corrected him, saying he shouldn't destroy Jefferson's counters. They finished up dinner, mostly Thomas and Eliza, and set the table, sitting Alexander as far from Jefferson as possible, essentially sitting them at the ends of the table. Philip was next to Eliza and James was across from them.

Eliza had to stop Alexander from throwing the gravy at Thomas, and James was tempted to throw turkey back at him.

"Can I have the gravy please?"

"Sure thing!"

"ALEXANDER NO!"

Once she and James got them calm, Philip just looked between Thomas and Alexander, trying not to laugh, as Alexander angrily stabbed his potato. Jefferson saw the boy and smiled, going back to eating his turkey.

At the end of dinner, before dessert, James stood up. "I'd like to propose a toast. To happy holidays and to Philip's success in school in the new year."

"Yes.", Eliza said, raising her glass, and Thomas and Alexander followed in suit. Philip raised his as well, before they all took a drink and James went and got dessert, which was a pie, made with mixed fruits from Monticello's orchard.

Eliza took a bite and hummed. "I thought it smelled good while I was preparing it, it tastes even better. Thomas, your garden is amazing.", she said, praising the taste of the fruits. Alexander wouldn't admit it, but he loved the taste of it.

After dessert, Jefferson rose. "Shall we move to the living room?", he suggested. Eliza nodded and moved to get the plates.

"I've got it Eliza.", James said. "You spend time with Philip.", he said, clearing the plates. She smiled at him and pulled her son to the couch to talk, Alexander following in suit.

She smiled and sat next to Philip on the couch. "So, how's school? What are you studying?"

He grinned. "I'm taking a law course, I took a English literature class last semester, and I'm taking Government and Politics, and History."

"What are you studying to be?", Alexander asked.

"A Congressman.", he grinned.

"That works out great. James is a great tutor for you then.", Eliza said.

"Yeah. I want to be like him.", Philip said. Alexander frowned. Eliza glared at him.

"I think it's great. You'll be able to get both sides of the argument.", Eliza said happily. The family chatted for a while, James and Thomas giving them space, staying in the dining room and playing with Thomas's new instruments.

Dedicated to:  _JaffaCakes_   -sadolive