Chapter 16

The first thing Thomas did was pull Philip over to the wash basin and gently took his left hand and cleaned it with the cloth next to the basin. James came in a moment later and took up cleaning Philip's right hand.

James moved towards the oven, beckoning the boy over to show him how to build the fire as Thomas got out some basic ingredients for a meal of potato, a salad using Monticello's 2 acre garden, beef, and bread, also getting out a pot to cook the beef in.

James kissed Philip's forehead when he successfully lit the fire and pulled him up to hand him to Thomas to help make the actual food. James went out to refill the two water buckets in the kitchen. When he came back, he found Thomas, standing behind Philip, pressed against him, guiding his hands so he didn't cut his fingers while chopping cabbage. As Philip started to get it, Jefferson corrected him less and eventually was able to step away to come to James, who'd put down one of the buckets.

Thomas distracted James by kissing him while taking the other bucket from him and pouring it into the pot on the fire. James smiled and looked lovingly at the Vice President. Philip was distracted, watching them, that if Thomas hadn't noticed and quickly run over to adjust his hands, the boy would have cut his finger.

"Stay focused, baby boy. Can't have blood in the salad...", Thomas reprimanded him gently, nuzzling his hair. James walked up and took Thomas's spot, starting to chop up carrots and kale. By the time James had finished with those two vegetables, Philip had successfully cut up all the cabbage and not himself.

James looked in one of the cupboards for a bowl before tossing the cabbage in the bowl with the carrots and kale, and set it between them, making it easier for them to add the ingredients.

"I'll cut up the peppers, you cut up the celery?", James asked. Philip nodded and the Virginian told him how to cut it into equal pieces before setting him about his task.

Thomas was getting the things he needed to make bread before setting up his workspace on the other side of the room. Leaving the bread for a minute, he called Philip over to show him how to tenderize meat and cut it.

Philip was a little confused when Thomas handed him a hammer. Thomas chuckled and ruffled his hair before taking Philip's hand that had the hammer and brought it down hard on the meat. The boy jumped.

"See... You just have to hit it multiple times. Just keep doing that, baby boy. I'll be right back.", Thomas said, moving to finish chopping the celery.

Philip discovered that he really liked tenderizing meat. He felt so good just hitting it over and over, smashing it with a hammer. James came over and gently took the hammer from him when the Virginian felt the meat was tender enough.

"Go finish the vegetables, baby. I'll finish here.", James said, taking a knife and cutting the meat into chunks before putting them in the boiling water. He went and got out a bowl and a spoon to start making the bread.

James, being as short as he was, had to ask Thomas to get the flour from one of the top shelves.

"Thomas, darlin', please get me the flour."

"Here you go, little Jem.", Thomas said, pausing his work on the vegetables to lean up and grab the flour. He handed it to James with a kiss, who was fake pouting at Thomas calling him 'Little Jem'.

James smiled when he got the flour and went back to his work. He went and got the milk and eggs and started to mix them together. When he finished mixing the bread, he put it in a pan and slid it into the oven.

He walked over and nuzzled the back of Philip's neck, waiting for them to finish with the vegetables.

"I love you darlings...", the Congressman murmured. Philip threw his pile of vegetables into the bowl and turned to kiss him gently.

"Now what?", the youngest asked. Thomas turned and pulled them both into his arms.

"We gotta wait baby boy. C'mon.", Thomas said, setting Philip on the counter after moving the salad and standing between his legs to kiss the boy. James came over and slipped his arms around Thomas's waist, waiting for his turn to kiss his boy.

When Thomas stepped away, James stepped in and took his place, kissing Philip gently. Thomas nuzzled into the back of the Congressman's hair.

"We'll make a chef out of you, baby boy.", Thomas promised.