Chapter 34

James and Alexander set the table as Philip and Thomas helped Eliza in the kitchen. Eliza had taken requests of favorite dishes to make: Philip had requested a beef sauteed with onions. James, a light salad with red onions, tomatoes, and olives. Alexander had asked for a fruit tart for dessert. Schuyler had requested a pork stew with sweet corn and cabbage.

Thomas went and made his own sweet potato biscuits as Philip made some bread for the meal. Eliza worked on the meats while getting the broth ready for the stew, as she and Thomas made her favorite cake. As they were working, James, Alexander and Schuyler sat down and let a conversation start naturally. Granted, it was a bit awkward at first, but it gradually developed.

Eventually, Angie and Alexander Jr. came downstairs at the smell of food. They were surprised to see so many people in the downstairs area. Angie immediately sought out Philip and hugged him from behind. The older boy chuckled at his little sister as he kneaded the dough. The smaller Alexander went to sneak a taste of the broth but Eliza picked him up and sat him next to his father. The small boy pouted but eventually distracted himself by poking at his father.

"What are you doing, Philip?', Angie asked. He grinned sitting her on a clean part of the counter.

"Making bread.", he said. "Want to help me knead it?"

She nodded eagerly, watching him and following his example. Thomas smiled.

"Try this.", he said, handing her a biscuit. The young girl nibbled on it, her eyes lighting up.

"It's delicious!", she said, grabbing another and munching on it. Soon, they had set all the food to cook and walked into the dining room.

Schuyler smiled, pouring small glasses of whiskey for the grown ups. "I propose a toast. To Philip, James, and Thomas. May their love be strong enough to overcome anything and stand the test of time.", he said.

Philip smiled inwards to himself as he raised his glass and knocked it against his lovers' glasses.

After drinking, Eliza and Alexander led their son to their room. His mother looked through a drawer until she pulled out two rings. Philip looked at them, as his parents shared a look.

"Here are some of the family rings.", Eliza started, showing him the ring she had. "This was my grandfather's ring and now I'm giving it to you, to give to James and Thomas."

"And this was my father's ring. He left it when he left my mother and I.", Alexander said, pressing the other ring into Philip's hand. "Give it to Thomas and James."

The boy looked down in awe at the pieces of history he was just given to give his lovers, to be buried with them when their time came. He realized that, at most, they would get to see him turn 50 or 60, if he made it that far. They would be buried with these rings. He didn't realize he was crying until a tear landed on his hand.

His mother pulled him into her arms as he let his tears fall. Eventually, Alexander joined the hug, as he and Eliza comforted their son.

Overwhelmed with love and a twinge of sadness, the boy walked back out to his family and lovers. He silently pulled them by the hands into the living room.

"Sugar?", Thomas asked, seeing a few tears still dripping down his face. Philip exhaled and gave a watery smile. The Vice President gently cupped his face, wiping his tears. The gesture of affection broke the younger man down further and he clung to his taller lover.

"What's going on?", Angie asked her mother quietly, hearing the soft sobs from her older brother and the soft coos of James and Thomas.

"Your brother's having a moment with his loves.", she responded, sitting her daughter next to the girl's father.

In the living room, the boy collected himself enough to open his hand and tell his lovers about the history of each one. He gave Thomas the one from his mother, and James, the one from his father.

"Oh darling...", James said, kissing his head softly and pulling him to his chest. Thomas wrapped his arms around the both of them. They stood there for a moment before Philip pulled away, tugging them back into the dining room.

His family looked up as they entered the room again, Thomas and James with soft smiles and rings on, Philip with a grin and watery red eyes. The trio had agreed they weren't ready for marriage, but that these would symbolize their promise to one another.