Chapter 7

A few days later, the states had responded to the politicians' request. They were not good. Philip walked into the living room to find his lovers reading a pile of letters and looking defeated. Thomas sighed and pulled Philip into his lap and nuzzled into his shoulder.

"Love?", Philip asked, running a hand through Thomas's hair. James sighed and grabbed his hand and stroked it with his thumb.

"Seven states rejected the Resolutions, three passed Resolutions expressing disapproval, and four didn't take any action. Only Virginia and Kentucky passed them...", he said, trailing off with downcast eyes. Philip's heart fell at the sight.

"Oh, darlings... I'm sorry. I don't understand it as well as you do, but two states sounds good, isn't it?", Philip asked. Thomas shook his head.

"Only two states passed Resolutions arguing that states have the right and duty to declare acts of Congress unconstitutional and nullify them. They also argued for states' rights and Democratic-Republican ideals because the Federalists passed this to quiet and weaken our party.", he said. Philip's heart broke a little at the miserable looks on his lovers faces. He stroked Thomas's cheek and placed his hand under James's chin to look him in the eyes.

"I'm sorry, loves.", he said sympathetically. James nuzzled into his hand, pressing kisses to it, and Thomas placed his hand over Philip's. They sat like that for a while, the two Virginians needing some time with their young partner.

Thomas and James eventually got their spirits back up and started writing the Resolutions, Philip between them. He was holding Jefferson's left hand and had his other arm around James's shoulder to hold Madison's left hand.

James finished before Thomas and leaned into Philip. Thomas finished a while later, and kissed James's forehead before laying across the two. James fluffed his hair and the poofy-hair man smiled. Philip couldn't help the grin spreading across his face at the sight.

"Oh, I just remembered, my mother wants me to visit her this weekend.", he said. Thomas looked at him.

"Mkay. Do you want us to come with you?", the Vice President asked. Philip shook his head.

"You don't need to, I'll be fine. But I will miss you two. I hope you two can get some work done.", the young man said, kissing James before leaning down to kiss Thomas. Madison nodded and pulled Jefferson between Philip and himself and cuddling into his side. The youngest member of the trio cuddled into his other side and Jefferson gently carded a hand through his hair while stroking Jemmy's back.

"I love you." None of them knew who muttered the phrase, but they all knew it conveyed the thoughts crossing their minds at that moment.

The weekend came, after many frustrating days for the Virginian politicians. Thomas was 300% done with the Federalists and this close to yelling at Adams, and James was having a mental breakdown from Congress debates. Philip was sad to leave them in such a state.

Before his carriage left, he kissed both of them passionately and hugged both of them tightly.

"Please take care of each other. I know it's been stressful for both of you, you deserve a rest.", he said, clinging to James's chest. Thomas chuckled and ruffled his hair.

"Of course, darling. We love you.", he said, kissing the young man's forehead gently. James pried him off gently and walked him to the carriage, opening the door for him. Philip climbed in and held James's hand through the window until the carriage departed.

"Love you guys too. See you tomorrow night.", he said, loud enough for Thomas to hear. As the carriage started pulling away, the two politicians waved him off. As soon as they were back inside, Thomas kissed James's forehead and led him to the washroom and drew up a warm bath for them.

James settled against Thomas's chest in the water and Thomas wrapped his arms around the smaller man and nuzzled into his hair. James purred and reached a hand up to Thomas's hair.

Philip was left alone with his thoughts in the carriage, thinking over what he'd been doing since his dad's affair. Having an affair with his father's political enemies, and he honestly didn't care what anyone thought anymore. He was wearing the suit Thomas gave him, it made him feel like a part of his love was traveling with him.

All 3 of them were broken, but somehow, they found solace in each other.