Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter 27 - In Motion, En Route

It had been several days of flying north before the group reached the rim of the lands known to them. Osyra was nearing, they only had to find the way.

"Are we lost?" Vitality asked Donovan.

"Um, aren't you the one flying?" Donovan retorted.

"Yeah, but I don't know where I'm going!"

"Well who put you in charge?" Donovan roared in his mind.

"Exactly! Tell me where to go!" Vitality countered.

Donovan eyed a village on the horizon, small and run-down but a village nonetheless.

"I think we should stop at that village and think of what to do next," Donovan suggested to the rest of the group.

"WHAT?" he heard Logan yell over the wind.

"WE'RE LANDING THERE!" Donovan screamed back.

"Ouch! I heard you that time," cried Logan, who had pulled closer in order to hear.

The group descended in a small clearing on the outskirts of town as the sun began to fade, far enough away where the dragons wouldn't be seen as they descended.

"That was smart," Corvus said to Kat.

"Thanks," Kat replied. "That's the first time you've spoken, wasn't it?"

Corvus gave a small nod, then turned his attention to Yoko.

"We should be fine going out in our armor. These people aren't familiar with the way our lands work, so we should be okay," Yoko announced.

Yoko took point and led the group, minus the dragons, the the outskirts of the village.

"Won't all of us going in at once raise suspicion?" Donovan asked.

"Exactly why we'll be the only two going in," Yoko said.

"What about us?" Kat whined.

"Yeah, I don't wanna be stuck with them," Logan snorted.

"Just be careful and wait," Yoko ordered. "Corvus, keep watch."

Donovan and Yoko exited the brush on the outskirts of town and began to walk down a path into the heart of town. The streets were bare, and the scent of fear tainted the air.

"Where is everyone?" Donovan asked.

"Hiding," Yoko deduced. "Probably from us."

Donovan cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled "He-Lo-Oh! Come out come out wherever you are!"

A wooden sandal clattered towards his feet, thrown from inside a nearby house.

"Hey! That's rude!" Donovan complained angrily.

"Go away! We ain't got no more young men for you to take. Git' away! We mean it" He heard a flurry of voices say from the direction the sandal was thrown.

"We just want some help," Yoko said calmly.

"That's what the last bunch said too, and they took all our boys. Whadd'ya want now? We paid our fee," a single male voice said.

"We just want to know how to get to Osyra. Can someone help us?" Yoko replied, still calm. Donovan stood behind him, enraged.

"Whatsa matter? Get lost on 'yer way home soldier boys?" another voice taunted.

"We just need to get there, once we do I think we can help you. Can someone come out and help?" Donovan shouted, confused as to where the people were.

"We ain't comin' out. Osyra is a three day's walk north o' here. Now 'git, Shoo," a voice said.

"Uhh, thanks I guess." Donovan droned.

Donovan and Yoko retreated up the path and back into the brush from where they entered he town. Logan, previously holding it back, began laughing loudly at Donovan's reaction to the townspeople.

"What was wrong with those people?" Kat asked.

"I don't know.. But we'll find out in Osyra," Corvus ominously replied.

"Donovan, want to get going? It's best to not be around at nightfall, these town people don't seem very happy with us," Kat said.

"It isn't just up to me, what do you'll think?" he asked.

"Let's move," Corvus suggested.

"He's right, lets fly," Yoko said.

Donovan led the group back to their dragons, and they set off north.

"We should get there by daybreak if we fly fast," Yoko thought to Donovan. "Are we going to stop or fly through?"

"I say fly right through the night, the faster we get there the faster we find out what's happening there," he thought back thoughtlessly.

"Wrong. We prepare the night before and strike past midday, when they are just past lunch and have their guard down," Sheer said. "We may lose the element of surprise but gain strength."

"So... We don't fly through the night?" Donovan asked.

"I see why he's fire..." Sheer sighed.

"Where do we land?" Donovan asked.

"There, we land there," Vitality said, looking at a clearing with a small pond. It was probably too small of a location and too far from Osyra to be watched by scouts, but large enough to have animals come and drink. And Vitality was veeeery hungry for deer.

The group began to descend upon the lakeside, just as the first volley of arrows, concealed by the night, rose to greet them.