Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21: A Sweet Surprise

WE HAD NO WINNER! So I gave the prize to my most dedicated fan, Taljera!

Correction: Somebody claimed the victory! But it was after the contests time, so I cannot award the prize. The winner would have been...

*Drumroll*

tigerd5

Sorry you answered late, maybe next time.>>

+++++++

*Clang*

As Donovan's shiny new practice sword, balanced to match Singe's proportion and weight, met with his new trainer's sword, sparks flew into the air. Hagrid had been right, Brandi immediately found the harshest trainer in the lands, and Donovan had started training again the afternoon after their fight. His new trainer, Susan Ann Marie was young, only seventeen summers. "But call me Kat," she said to Donovan, when they met. She was quite famous as one of the best swordsman around, for she had won many high-skilled competitions. She had a rough history, everyone in the lands knows her past was harsh, but nobody knows what happened, for she speaks of it with no human.

Rumors had been spread around the lands about her, the most prominent being that she was raised as the daughter of a master swordsman father. Some say her father lay waste to her mother for being feeble-minded, then took himself in regret. Others say that the villagers of the town they lived in had slain her parents in their sleep. Yet still others say a mystical dragon used mind control to force her parents to fight to the death. The only certainty was that her parents died horribly, and she took the pain of it.

She was an expert swordsman, her father made sure of it as she was growing, and she treated Donovan as her apprentice, somewhat. Brandi found a separate teacher for the common students and the new students, and hired Susan specifically for Donovan.

*Swish*

His trainer's sword narrowly missed Donovan's face. She fought perfectly, switching up her style to include many known techniques, and some hidden ones that only she seemed to know. Her usual over-thought, decisive actions were replaced by pure energy and experience when Kat began a sword fight.

Donovan narrowly escaped death countless times in the few days they had been training. In a matter of only days, Donovan changed from winning by dumb luck against Brandi to being competent with a sword.

Today, Donovan was discovering a new way to fight. He had trained specifically with single weapons, using a copy of Singe and Infernus for three days each, after a week of exercises, and learned the basics of using both swords. Singe was a quick, slicing blade which could also stab effectively. Infernus was more for smashing, the heavy blade breaking the guard of unsuspecting opponents.

But as of today, Donovan was learning the basics of fighting with his powers. His powers of sword changing.

"Get your head in the fight!" Donovan's trainer yelled. She swung again, leaving a cut on Donovan's cheek. Donovan swung with his copy of Infernus, so the abilities of his sword would not be shown if damage was done, and was deflected by his trainer. Donovan twisted the blade, trying to catch his trainer's blade with the jagged edges and pull it away, but Kat knew the trick by now; she studied her pupil's actions intensely in the times they fought. Kat pulled away her blade, and Donovan pulled Infernus away, leaving his opponent's blade in Kat's hand, where it had begun.

Quickly, Donovan formed and stabbed with Singe. Donovan secretly hoped he didn't hit her; he didn't want to harm her, for he realized he couldn't call upon the copy but only his true blade. Kat's blade swung, like lightning, and smashed into Donovan's blade, causing his weak left arm to release Singe. Singe went flying across the sparring ring, landing in the dirt nearly two dragons lengths away.

Donovan heard Vitality's voice echoing encouragements in his head. "Donny! Show her how it's done!"

"Ahh, his life is so simple. Nothing like mine," Kat thought for her dragon, Resolution, to hear.

She fought on, her natural abilities taking over her body while her mind worked out the boy's movements, mathematically calculating where his next strike would be.

"It's not his nor anyone's fault you do not tell them the truth about your past," her male dragon spoke. Her reddish-brown blonde hair danced around her, reaching down to her mid-back, while she floated across the sparring ring, fighting Donovan while speaking to Resolution.

"Nobody needs to know. If you let people into your life, it only gives you a weakness," she thought back as she somersaulted away from Donovan. "If I tell someone, they can use it against me."

"But if you tell nobody, the guilt will break you," Resolution thought back. "You can't keep this to yourself much longer or you'll go insane."

Kat deflected a few of Donovan's strikes from his Infernus copy with her blade and began a weak attack pattern. "It's my story, my life. When I find someone I can trust, then maybe I'll tell them."

"You could always tell Donovan, your little secret boyfriend," Resolution teased. He knew that she thought Donovan was cute, and that she was secretly crushing on him.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she thought back as she began blushing in the middle of her fight.

Donovan was confused, his trainer turned bright red in the middle of their battle. His cute, hot, beautiful teacher with her cute smile and deep brown eyes was blushing. Her light skin was tanned a little; she looked wonderful.

"Donny's crushing on his teacher?" Vitality teased.

"No clue what you could ever mean," he thought back. He stopped swinging his sword so heavily, letting the Infernus copy wave around uselessly in his hands.

Kat twirled her sword around. She took a few false hit at Donovan, before she flew past her comfort zone. She swung her sword and smashed it into Donovan's, forcing him to release the sword he was barely holding. She threw her sword with his, letting them both fly away, and tackled Donovan to the ground, and gave him a deep, passionate kiss.

"What am I DOING?" she thought to Resolution. "I'm usually so careful, so analytical. Why did I want to do this so bad?"

"Maybe you found the right guy? Someone you can trust? Someone who's worth you breaking your rules?" suggested Resolution. His deep male voice echoed in her head.

"Yeah, the right guy," she thought to herself, as though to convince herself. "Maybe I did find the right guy."

Donovan couldn't believe it, his wonderful teacher was giving him the kiss he had longed for since he met her.

"GET IT IN!" Vitality yelled in a thought.

"Lemme enjoy the moment, Vit. Bug me later," he thought back as he let his senses drop to kiss the girl of his dreams.

The kiss lasted all of fifteen seconds, but in the mere seconds, both Kat and Donovan's lives had changed.

"I've wanted to do that for a while," Kat said to Donovan.

"Hey Kat?" Donovan began.

"Yeah?" She asked back.

"I like you," Donovan said before getting up, taking his gear, and walking away, leaving Kat sitting on the ground, dumbstruck.

Under her breath, Kat whispered back "I like you too."

+++++++*******

Please look up Kaitohime on Wattpad and read her story "A tragic love story" and vote/comment.

That means you, Taljera.>>