Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter 24: A Lesson Learned...

"I told you so!" Vitality screamed through Donovan's ears, as he and a few undead dragons circled each other on the ground.

"Shush, Vit. Don't make me call you that name again," Donovan thought back, trying to brighten the frightened mood.

"MY NAME ISN'T PRINCESS, for the LAST time! In the name of Akira I swear to you Donny..." Vitality grumbled back, his voice lost as he focused on keeping pace with the dragon who stood forward and began squaring off with him.

Vitality's paces were huge compared to the other dragons', its weird posture and undead physique made it hard for it to square up to an opponent on the ground.

Donovan, meanwhile, was standing steady with Infernus raised, waiting for the six undead ahead of him in a semicircle to make a move. Kat, too, had her hands full. She was circling a small group, her being the one with the upper hand.

Logan, on the other hand, was sitting down, back against a tree, asleep. Dusk had been upon them and Donovan felt they should make camp for the night. The second the group hit the ground, Logan and his Dragon, Clap, passed out around a large, shady tree, lazy and tired from the afternoon flight. The undead seemed to not notice his existence, the unmoving body catching no interest, although Clap's snores caused them to turn their heads every so often.

The few undead finally made a move towards Donovan, and the dragon Vitality was circling lunged. Resolution tackled it from the side; the dark brown dragon, with symbols similar to every other undead they had faced, fell to the side. Resolution bit into it's neck, a would-be kill if the dragon were alive, but the dragon instead squirmed and forced it's way up, like a worm, though it felt no pain.

Donovan swung Infernus into the undead rider in front of him. The blade sliced his torso, and Donovan saw the blades fiery effect begin to overtake the body. The wound burned away at the flesh of the undead, slowly deteriorating the reanimated body.

As the undead's flesh burned away, one if the unmoving Dragons spectating Vitality's fight began to grow weak - as his rider died, he began to lose energy and focus, for their bond was real before death, and being reanimated gave both rider and Dragon a chance to be together after life.

Outside the clearing where the group did battle, the body of a fox lay close to the ground, hiding away under a bush. It, too, was reanimated, although this body did not do battle. It lay there, the one good eye watching Donovan fight, but it was not his body that was recording the information.

+++++++

In the pitch black room, only the yellow eyes of a dragon were visible. This dragon's rider stared into space, seeing through the perspective of the fox, watching the way his fiery opponent moved and fought.

The dragon spoke in his head, breaking his concentration and letting his grip on the fox loosen up. The fox fell the the ground under the bush, dead for the final time.

The commanding tone of the Dragon's thoughts grabbed the rider's attention. "We should send in Clover now, and have him deal with the runt," the voice suggested.

The male figure faltered - the plan suggested was a good one, but it was risky. "Yes, once he finishes breaking my toys, let him face a real warrior," Lucius said to the pitch-black Dragon with dark gray designs on his side: his Dragon, Cerberus.

+++++++

Donovan mopped up the little mess. The last undead warrior dropped to the earth, his cuts were steaming from the sensation of burning flesh; Infernus' gift.

Vitality and Resolution were coated in the goo of the last dragon, but as the rider burned away, so did the essence of the dragon.

Vitality roared, a crazed boom that shook the forest around the clearing. Donovan heard him yell "Send me your worst," but only the few who shared heads could hear it. A groggy Sheer mumbled "Shut up, sleeping."