Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15: In the Woods

Donovan was as quiet as he could possibly be as he ran behind Jeffrey. He kept to the freshly turned dirt to tread on, the loosely packed dirt cushioning his steps so that no noise was made. Deciding Infernus to be too heavy, he let it disappear into oblivion.

"Where that sword goes, I'll never know." Donovan thought.

"Donny slow down, you're almost at his tail." he heard Vitality speak in his head. The dragon stable, which was more like a palace than an animal shelter, had a great view of the entrance. "If I move, it'll be too loud. I have to stay here."

Donovan slowed his pace. He was twenty-five dragon lengths behind Jeffrey, when Jeffrey began to look back again to see if he was followed. Donovan had no clue as to what happened, but Jeffrey looked directly at him, yet seemed to continue on his was, as if Donovan was not there.

"I don't know what just happened Donny boy but don't lose him, he's out of the gate already." Vitality spoke. "I'll be following you through your eyes."

"You can do that? Wait wait don't have the time gotta move," Donovan thought in a hurry as he ran through the gate. He spotted Jeffrey about thirty dragon lengths ahead if him, walking through the woods casually, with not a worry that he was being tailed.

"He looked directly at me. Did he not see me?" Donovan tried to communicate.

"Hold on. I'm on the move. I don't like this Donovan. Why didn't you tell someone you were leaving?" Vitality spoke.

"Write it in the dirt or something. {Gone after Jeffrey} then make a heart and put {D&P} okay?" Donovan thought in return.

"Donovan! My name is NOT nor will it EVER be Princess! Just drop it!" Vitality threatened.

"Never," Donovan thought as he stalked Jeffrey. "Wait, he's turning. Where is he going?"

"Oh yes. Because I can read his mind. Do I look like Redemption?" Vitality jeered.

"True. What do you think he's doing?" Donovan returned casually. "Wait a second, there's another person here."

"Get closer and listen," Vitality demanded.

"Whatever you say." Donovan said in a hushed whisper as he ducked to the floor and crawled forward into hearing range under a bush.

"...about the boy? You know the legend. Fire is always the most powerful, every story of elements battling claims so. He must be dealt with." said a mysterious voice that Donovan knew would frighten even an ancient warrior.

"So you want me to deal with the boy?" Jeffrey asked the mysterious figure.

"No. I want you to take the boy to me. I want to make his life not worth living. I want to be the one to destroy the legend. You will take the boy and bring him to me. I don't care how you do it," the mysterious voice said back in a harsh monotone.

"Yes, anything you say. I shall have him to you within the week," Jeffrey said.

Donovan couldn't stand it any longer, Infernus formed in his right hand while Donovan jumped from behind the bush. He threw Infernus with all his might at Jeffrey. It twirled and danced in the air, swinging as it went towards Jeffrey.

"On your left," Donovan heard in his head. Donovan looked left and saw the figure swinging some sort of axe at him. He ducked under the axe and kicked the man's wrist. The axe fell from the man's wrist, and Donovan kicked it away into the underbrush, on the edge of the clearing.

The man stepped back, but not in time to save him. Vitality descended from the sky and landed on the man, holding him under his claw.

"Great job Vit," Donovan said as he turned around to find Jeffrey, who had been silent since he threw his sword.

He found him, lying on the floor. Infernus was buried deep in the ground an arm's length past his figure. The figure was on the ground, face up. The legs were twisted in an odd way, and an extremely long tear ran along his midsection, starting to the left of the groin and running to the right of his neck. His chest did not rise and fall, he was deceased.

Donovan was ready to grab Infernus and go back to the academy, when Vitality spoke his head. "This isn't normal, Donny. Something is odd about that cut."

Donovan dropped to one knee and looked at the cut. At first glance, it was a normal sword wound. But Donovan saw the edges of the cut were singed and burnt, and the body's insides were the same. He watched as the cut burnt away, taking everything with it. He watched as the single cut became a gash in Jeffrey's torso. He watched a the mush inside him turned to ash, and the cut spread to devour everything.

Donovan stared in amazement and wonder at this catastrophic event. He seemed to get lost in it, the world around him became unimportant.

Vitality broke his gaze by wagging his tail in front of Donovan's head. "What, Vit?" he said aloud.

"What about this man under my claw. What do you want me to do with him?" Vitality thought.

"We should-" Donovan began.

"No we can't burn him too." Vitality said as Donovan turned to him. "Why don't we-"

"But Vitality!" Donovan begged.

"Why don't we bring him to Brandi?" Vitality suggested.

"Uggh. Why?" Donovan whined, disappointed.

"So he can explain what happened here, and why you killed Jeffrey." Vitality thought wisely.

"Fine. Let me grab Infernus," Donovan gave up.

He turned around for Infernus, and saw it lying in the dirt where he had left it. But, he noted, something had changed about the scene. Something Donovan just couldn't place.