Chapter One

Chapter One: History

++ Akira, Redemption, Haiden, and Fury as well as the basic guidelines behind this story belong to author Voif1d. I do not own in any way any part of these characters. I am using them with permission of the author. For understanding of this story, I implore you to read the Dragon of Legends series. <Wattcode = 166193>++

"Redemption and Akira, the Rider and Dragon of Legend, were said to have defeated Haiden, Rider of the black Dragon, Fury, who attempted to take over the lands," said an older, wise woman. "Akira," she continued, "Was my aunt."

"Your made-up stories are getting less and less believable, mom," a teenage boy with long, straight brown hair replied. "Akira's entire family died, everyone knows that."

"That's where you're wrong, Donovan." she said as she stared into his unresponsive, blood-red eyes. "Her younger sister escaped, unbeknownst to all, and hobbled into the woods. She hid there for days, eating only plants her mother had taught her were edible. She nearly died in those woods, had a hunter not found her passed out under a tree, clutching a shining green rock."

"A dragon's egg?" Donovan's elder sister Mary, only three summers older than Donovan's fourteen, chimed in.

"Exactly," her mother replied. "The hunter brought her to his lodgings, a cabin near the edge of the woods, and raised her as his daughter. The rock she had clutched hatched into a deep green dragon, which, in the woods, blended in perfectly with the lush plants. She and her dragon, rightfully named Forest, lived as masterful hunters until many years after her adopted father passed."

"This is a load of dragon dung." Donovan huffed.

"Shush boy! It would be wise to pay attention!" His mother quickly replied. "Now your grandmother would often visit the academy to sell her meat to the students tired of eating the ever-so-delicious Splodge." Said Donovan's mother with distaste clearly written on her face.

"She knew about the academy yet didn't join it?" Mary questioned skeptically.

"Not everyone wished to be a warrior." Her mother said. "Your grandmother loved hunting the woods she lived by, knowing the land as well as she knew Forest. Anyways... She visited the academy one day and noticed a magnificent lad, about her age, with a dragon of dark purple scales. She fell instantly in love... And as you can see here I am."

"And you expect us to believe this?" Donovan snorted. "How do you know this anyway?"

"Your grandmother told me on her death bed, boy. And she only knew because Forest sifted through her memories and told HER." His mother growled. "Now shut up and listen. Your grandma didn't tell a soul but me. Only her and Forest knew. We have a powerful bloodline, children. You are destined for great things."

"Are you done yet?" The teenage boy interrupted.

"Yes! Yes I'm done!" Came the quick reply.

"Thank you, mother, for the story." Mary said slowly, unsure if it was the truth. "But Slither wants to go flying, do you mind..." she said, trailing off.

Groaning, her mother said " Yes, dear. Go have fun with your dragon." Before she even finished, Mary was out the door to go see her slime-green dragon.

"Destined for great things my butt," grumbled Donovan under his breath as he stalked his sister outside before making a beeline for the trees, for he lived in his grandmother's house near the woods, and disappeared into the forest. "I don't even have a dragon."

++Thank you voif1d for permission to write this. I do not believe I shall be using too many of your characters, if any. Just alluding to them.++