Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter 28: Dualities in Nature

"UP" Yoko cried as the first arrows thumped harmlessly against Sheer's underside. From their height, the arrows could barely reach them, and if they did, they couldn't pierce.

Vitality flew higher, and let loose a little flame from his mouth. "Donovan, I need your help," He heard Yoko think to him. "See all that water? I need you to help Sheer and I get close."

Donovan peered into Yoko's thoughts, looked over his plan, and smiled.

Donovan turned to Corvus and shouted "Follow my lead." Corvus nodded in return.

Donovan swooped down, followed closely by Corvus and Yoko. Kat and Logan were left in the air, trying to follow their ally's movements with their eyes. Kat watched as Donovan and Corvus swooped low, breathing fire on the forest. She stroked Muk's neck nervously. She didn't like when she couldn't see the enemy, because if you can't see it, you can't kill it.

"Weeeeeeeeeee HAAAAAAVE to do this more often!" Vitality screeched to Donovan as they whirled around, dodging arrows and breathing fire unto the forest. Yoko had disappeared from sight, and the plan was working. Vitality and Shadow had set fire to a large part of the forest, pushing the unseen forces to the waterside, where they were visible.

Once a large enough enemy group was on the edge, Donovan signaled to Yoko in his head.

Vitality flew upwards just in time to see Yoko and Sheer rise from the middle of the lake, surrounded by two giant tentacles made purely of water. Yoko waved his arms around, and the water followed as if an extension of his body.

The tentacles sloshed against the shore, dragging enemy after enemy into the water's dark depths. The enemy forces were stuck, they could either run into the forest fire, or stay by the shore and get dragged into the lake. Some of them tried to scramble around the sides of the first to an unburned area. Logan had foresaw this, and had Kat and himself lie in wait by the unburned areas for the enemy to rush at them. They easily dispatched the scared foes, and let Donovan work on keeping the fire contained.

Corvus, now several hundred feet in the air, watched the spectacle with wonder. "Their power, their fluidity. They far surpass everything I have seen before." He thought to Shadow. Shadow nodded, no other response was needed.

Before long, the few enemies who weren't dragged under, lost in the fire, or had fallen to Kat and Logan's blades lay huddled on the store, begging to be spared.

Yoko let the tentacles fall as the sun was rising, they fell into millions of water droplets, catching the suns rays and making small rainbows to each that could see. Sheer flew close to shore, and Yoko called upon the water once more to bind the foes that lay there in pitiful defeat.

Donovan flew high in the sky still, doing everything he could to contain and put out the fire that he started. Within minutes, he had the fire out and was able to fly down and regroup with his friends.

"That was the hardest thing I've done... Ever." Donovan said to the group. "Little fires are nothing... Big fires.." Vitality laid down on the outskirts of the forest, what little remained of it, and Donovan leaned on his faithful partner.

"They need to rest, they haven't had time to hone their skills. It takes a big toll on the body to use them on that scale," Yoko said to the group as Donovan began snoring. "Kat, can you bind these guys and question them? I need to rest too, and when I do the water binding will fade. Logan, Corvus, can you scout the forest and see that we didn't miss any? Bind any that are willing and slay the others."

Corvus and Logan disappeared with a nod, and Kat began binding the captives with rope from her bag.

Yoko leaned against Sheer, and closed his eyes.