Chapter Three

Chapter 3: Discovery

Donovan woke up, an unusual scent in the air. He couldn't see; it was cloudy, ever so cloudy. Smoke rose everywhere around him. It was bright.... Too bright. Seconds later, the information 'clicked' in his brain. "FIRE" he shouted frantically, knowing nobody was around to hear him, although wishing someone was.

He ran through the woods, straight for his house, yet it was nowhere to be seen. "Maybe I'm lost," he thought. Profanity escaping his lips with each step, Donovan raced to the stream in the middle of the forest, in a lame attempt to stop the ever-expanding fire by tossing water everywhere.

It was at the moment where Donovan had given up hope, where he was ready to lay down in the water and hope for the best, that he saw it.

Lying in the forest, in the middle of a charred, black, crater, was the most wondrous dragon egg ever seen before. "It's the same colors as the fire!" he thought. Nearly forgetting his surroundings, he creeped over the egg, willing himself to stand as close as the intense heat, seeming to radiate off of the egg, would allow.

With only the thought of rescuing the poor dragon from the sickening fire, Donovan reached forward, through the ever-increasing heat, to grab the egg. "Only... A little... More..." He said, willing himself to continue.

Finally, his hands reached the scorched egg. He placed his palms on the egg, and everything stopped. The searing pain in his arms and hands, and the bright lights surrounding him, but most important of all was the heat. It was no longer scalding hot, everywhere around him. It was... Cold.

Looking around, Donovan noticed the fires had all disappeared. Not a spark was left. Turning his attention back to the dragon egg, he saw a large crack, expanding by the second, until it severed the egg down the middle.

Milliseconds later, it shattered, sending thousands of shards of rock-hard egg bits shooting directly towards him. Reflexively, he dropped to the floor. Waiting nearly a minute, to ensure it was safe, he looked back at the crater where the dragon egg was to see a draglin, crawling around the crater as if looking for something.

Reaching his hand out, Donovan began to stroke the draglin's tail. Screeching happily, the draglin stopped his extensive search, seeming to have found his missing item, Donovan.