Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter 23: Connection

Donovan woke in the infirmary, in a daze. He blinked a couple times, his left arm was in a sling and he couldn't move it, but he was able to get up if he wanted.

"Enjoy your beauty sleep?" said a bored Vitality.

"How long have you been planning that one out?" Donovan retorted.

"Since you got here, a couple days ago," said Vitality back calmly.

"A COUPLE DAYS?!" freaked Donovan. "Where's Kat?"

"No more like the night after the battle and most of the next day. I just thought it'd be funny to mess with you," thought Vitality contently.

"Donny! Are you okay?" Donny heard a female voice say.

"Kat?" he questioned, his voice weak, hoping it was her, although he wasn't sure if she heard him, since his voice barely had volume.

"Of course, Sweetie. I'm here," He heard Kat proclaim proudly.

"Sweetie?" Donovan said puzzled. "Are we dating?"

"Duhh. You asked me in the middle of the battle, don't you remember?"

"No," Donovan said weakly as he delivered a blank stare at the ceiling. Inside his head, Donovan was freaking out. "VIT! What in the lands! Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was more fun this way," the Dragon said back with a giggle.

"You're a real jerk, Vit." Donovan left the words to float through their heads, and sink in, although Vitality interrupted it with "So you've told me."

"Want anything Donovan?" he heard Kat say.

"My memory back," he said back.

Mary walked in, and heard what he said. "Lost your memory, Donny? Lemme see what I can do."

Mary sauntered over to the cot and placed her right hand on his head, her left hand over her right hand, and began to use her healing powers.

"Now I've never really tried this before but let's see how it works," Mary said, cooly.

Her healing powers spread over Donovan's head, healing any small cuts or bruises he had as well as a chip in his tooth. Mary let her mind wander into her powers, pushing her healing deeper into Donovan's head, until they his his brain.

Donovan felt like he was on a good drug. Everything in his body felt amazing, as though he could carry a heavy dragon across the lands and back.

Mary sat down in a chair near Donovan's bed, exhausted. "Any memory?" she asked between breaths.

"I hope so," Kat said.

Donovan tried to remember, but nothing came to him. "Nope. Not a thing," he whined.

"Time for plan B," Mary said. "Kat, would you like to-"

Kat didn't let Mary finish, cutting her off by delivering a sharp blow to Donovan's head.

Donovan felt immense pain for a second, and suddenly it was all coming back to him....

+++++++

The closer Donovan and his attacker came together, the stronger the stench became. Donovan saw the dragon of the enemy was an extremely dark red with black tribal swirls, similar to Vitality's, covering it.

Donovan immediately felt that there was something wrong with the Dragon. It's flying was awkward, as if it was a forced action instead of the natural skill dragons posses.