Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17: The Man in the Darkness

Donovan panted, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. His breath was warmer than the air around him, and he could feel the massive amount of heat that shone off of him as he moved. The grass underfoot burnt and died as he moved towards Infernus. He grabbed the hilt, and tugged Infernus from the grasp of the the lands.

He held Infernus in his right hand, and had shifted Singe to his left. Donovan felt the power flowing within him, and extending to the blades. The blades were crafted perfectly for him, Singe was perfectly balanced in his hands, the speed and quickness that can be achieved with the blade emanated a peaceful death, a safe transportation to the afterlife. Opposite Singe, the deadly abilities as well as the slower, heavier, more brutal fighting style hinted at death and destruction in everything the blade touched.

"Calm down, Donny. Please?" Vitality begged.

Donovan took several deep breaths and allowed his mind to expand, to allow in all sources of sound, and taste, and sight, and feel, and smell.

"Good, let the nature calm you," Vitality thought in a soothing tone. The scratchiness in his tone suggested he was still a young Dragon, yet it was countered by the deep-rooted wisdom that seemed to be given off with every word, wisdom that seemed to stem from a great knack for survival.

Fire always lives on.

+++++++

In a black room, from lack of light, a man sat, leaning his back on the chest of the beast behind him. Yellow eyes shone in the background, and a deep rooted evil was evident in the voice the bearer of the eyes held. The eyes flashed from visible to unseen, as a metal item was called to and formed in the man's hand, and was then sent away again, sucking the light if the devious glowing eyes with every location shift.

"The boy of fire has killed his swords trainer," said the holder of the yellow eyes.

The man closed his eyes and remembered what he had just seen, through the eyes of his undead minion. He remembered controlling Jeffrey as he rose, as he hid among the brush at the side if the clearing. He remembered forcing Jeffrey to attack Donovan, and remembers pulling his mind out of the dead man, relinquishing his control, and letting the dead man's experience do the work for him. He remembers seeing through the dead man's empty eye sockets as he was incinerated.

"Good," thought back the man. "He now has no weapons master. Let him learn to master any weapon without a trainer."

"There are many a foe at the academy who can teach him," said the voice of the Dragon. "Many trained in different arts, who can diverge more knowledge combined than one man."

"We will deal with this later. Let us check up on our daughter of air, shall we?"

+++++++

Donovan crept through the entrance to the academy, willing nobody to see him and Vitality. Unfortunately for him, a missing legend and his Dragon raise quite a stir at the academy. The second he entered the gate, a student spotted him and ran to him from about three dragon lengths away.

"Brandi's been worried sick!" said the boy. "She made everyone get up early to find you."

Donovan thought to Vitality, careful as to not speak aloud, "If she made the entire student body get up this early to find me, then how early was she trying to force me to wake up?"

"It's Brandi. I doubt anyone can tell what's going on in her head, including her Dragon, Burst," returned Vitality.

"She has a Dragon?!" Donovan thought, surprised.

"Yeah, she's a bright yellow dragon, still young. Quite pretty, if I do say so myself. She's kind of shy though, and curls up when I try to get close to her," Sighed Vitality, who Donovan could tell had a slight crush on the young yellow Dragon.

"Aww, Vitality got a crush?" teased Donovan.

"Don't make me burn you to a crisp, Donovan. I can do it." Vitality began to say, while Donovan interrupted with "Princess!"

Vitality let out a burst of flame into the sky, as a warning to Donovan. The boy who ran over to Donovan split, running as fast as he could towards the academy.

Donovan laughed, and students gathered around the young Dragon that had somehow mastered the art of breathing fire, something many mature dragons couldn't even do.

Brandi dove through the crowd, yelling at students to step back and give Donovan some room to breath.

"Tell her I'M the one who needs the room. My tail is bored," thought Vitality.

"Your tail doesn't have a brain, Vit," thought Donovan back.

"Fire is easy to make, Donovan. And if I remember correctly, fire HURTS people," Vitality taunted.

Brandi turned to Donovan. "Where were you, and why were there reports of a tower of flames in the middle of the forest?" she demanded.

"Well..." Donovan began. " About that..." he continued, before Vitality dropped the man they took along with then before Brandi.

"Tell him to speak," Vitality thought.

"Speak to this man, Brandi," Donovan said to her before looking the man in the eyes, wordlessly telling the man that he ought to tell the truth, if he does not wish to end up like Jeffrey.

Brandi grabbed hold of the man, and brought him into the academy to speak to him, most likely in her office privately.

Students ran back around Donovan and Vitality. Vitality roared, and smoke escaped his nose. The students slowly backed away, as to not anger the beast. Donovan began to laugh, but was soon seeing only black as a huge red and yellow tail accidentally swung and smashed Donovan over the head.

"Sorry Donny! I didn't mean-" was all he heard before he slipped into unconsciousness.