Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12: The Legend

Donovan awoke in a bath of sweat. He opened his eyes to the worried face of his sister, Mary, overlooking him. Donovan, still groggy, looked around the room he was in. The sweat that had pooled on the bed began to drip to the floor as he moved. On his left, simple walls. A table. On his right, a side-table, and a row of four chairs where Marty sat. Seeing him awake, Donovan mumbled out a few words, trying to ask where he was, what had happened. To the ears of Mary and Marty, the words sounded like a mush of sound being thrown into a single sentence, unclear and unanswerable.

It took a minute, but Donovan eventually uttered a useable sentence. "Brandi... Needs to explain... The legend.... Brandi..." he said barely.

Mary looked to Marty sternly. "You heard him. Get Brandi. Now." she demanded.

Marty got up and walked out of the room, heading for the lift. Mary leaned over Donovan and kissed him on the forehead. "Whatever you were dreaming is over, you'll never have to deal with it again. I promise you, little brother."

More awake now, Donovan replied wisely. "Seeing it again is what I am most afraid of. Not because it was horrifying, but because I'm positive I will."

"I'll always be there for you, little brother. You won't face whatever it was alone." said Mary, planting a kiss on his forehead.

"I wouldn't want you there, wouldn't want you to see what I saw. Feel what I felt. Nobody should ever have to." said Donovan, staring straight up at the ceiling.

Mary let out a small tear, just as Brandi walked in with Marty.

Marty looked directly at Mary, saying with his eyes alone that Donovan and Brandi should be alone for their talk. Mary gave Donovan another kiss on the forehead before she said "See you soon Donny" and walked out with Marty. Donovan noticed, as they walked out, Marty look at Mary in a way only someone with a crush would. He made a mental note to ask Marty about it later.

"Donny? Nice name. Isn't it, Donny?" Donovan heard in his head.

"Shush, Vitality. It's not my fault she calls me it," he thought back.

"How cute, little brother gets a nickname," Vitality responded, still in a teasing manner.

"Would you like an embarrassing nickname?" Donovan thought with a smirk. "Because I can think of three off the top of my head."

"You are NOT calling me PRINCESS!" yelled Vitality on Donovan's thoughts.

Brandi interrupted their conversation by saying "Donovan, you called for me?"

"Good luck Buddy," heard Donovan.

"Yes, I did." Donovan said to Brandi.

"What for? How can I help?" she questioned.

"I need to know. About the legend. You need to tell me." Donovan demanded. "It's important."

"Why the sudden need to know?" replied Brandi, uneasily. The discomfort in her voice was clearly audible.

"I had a dream. At least I think it was a dream. It felt so... Real." he said, mostly to himself.

"What was the dream about?" asked Brandi.

"I met with three other kids and some dude named Lucius in an abandoned church, or schoolhouse. The town was destroyed. Nothing was left standing. It was horrible. Nobody was around, probably scared off or dead. It was just the five of us. And then I got dragged under the ground by a bunch of bony fingers."

"Then I guess it is time you learned of your destiny. Get comfy, it's gunna be a while," sighed Brandi.

"Once, back long ago, there existed only four things on this planet. Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. From these four things, everything you see came about. Fire was always known as the creator. Rash, destructive, and deadly, but always the creator. Fire would burn down the forests, making the way for new ones. With everything it burned, something good came about. You, Donovan, are the personification of your element, Fire."

"So I'm an element?" he questioned, confused.

"No. But you act like your element. You are rash, and spontaneous. You do not think, but you act. You are Fire."

"So the legend is what, exactly?" Donovan said.

"Let me get to it!" smirked Brandi. "Teenagers, Gesh."

"Okay, continue," said Donovan.

"When the first White Dragon was tainted with evil, and became a black dragon, a battle between good and evil ensued. But at the same time the Black Dragon rose, another dragon became tainted, but escaped into hiding. This dragon is Hades, and his rider is Lucius. As Hades and Lucius hid, they gained in strength and wisdom."

"How does this have to do with me? This is merely fake history, a legend passed down to entertain. Isn't it?" yawned Donovan, bored.

"I'm getting to it, please don't interrupt."

"If you so wish, overlord." sighed Donovan.

"Anyway. Lucius and Hades have only one goal, destruction. They want to kill, to destroy. To hold the power of life and death in their hands. As you are the element Fire, and others are Water, Earth, and Air, Lucius is believed to be darkness. The legend states four heroes, each a master of their element, a master of their weapons, will combine into one voice to destroy the ultimate evil. This, Donovan, is where you come in."

"So you think I am the element of fire? How so?"

Donovan heard Vitality speak through his heard, "My colors, Donny. My ability to breath fire. Your ability to control it. That is how we know you are in the legend."

"You knew, and didn't tell me?" yelled Donovan in his head.

"It was not up to me, but Brandi. Only the head of the school can inform the legend."

"Thanks, buddy," replied Donovan with massive sarcasm, a grimace appearing on his face.

"I'm guessing Vitality told you?" asked Brandi, noticing the face.

"You could say that." replied Donovan. "But how can I be sure you are truthful, how do I know the legend exists?"

"Ask the students, borders have been rushed by unknown riders, with inhumane skills. Skills only master swordsman would have, yet in the body of a every soldier, young or old, that faces us."

"How can I help?" Donovan said sternly.

"Embrace the legend. Embrace your powers. Excel in your training. And prepare to die at any time. Will you accept the consequences of being a Legend, Donovan? Will you fight the dark Lucius for the safety of the lands?"

No hesitation, no chance for a thought to deny his wishes, Donovan spoke clearly and loudly. "I pledge myself the cause."