Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18: The Daughter of Air

Donovan woke in the infirmary, still in a daze. A pretty girl was standing beside his bed and giggling. Donovan had a pounding headache, and felt no need to get out of his bed. He blinked his eyes a few times, and the girl faded in and out if view. He looked around, a window was open, and a tree was waving in the distance. He saw the academy close by, not attached to the infirmary except by an extended hallway, not seen by Donovan in his current location.

The girl sat down on the corner of his bed and turned to him. "Hey, Donovan right?" she asked.

"Yeah," Donovan said with a groan. "What of it?"

"I'm Bridgett. My dragon, Drift, felt you needed help here at the Fourth Academy. She heard from the wind that you were injured."

"Heard from the wind?" Donovan asked. "And I've never seen you around before. Where are you from?"

"I'm from the Second Academy," the girl replied while getting up from the corner of the bed and standing near Donovan. "I was around here and figured I could see of you were alright."

Donovan sat up, and stared at the girl. "She's so pretty," thought Donovan to nobody in particular. "Her wavy brown hair, her sky blue eyes, her short, petite look." To Donovan, she was the perfect girl.

"Hey lover boy, stop staring or she'll get the wrong idea," Donovan heard in his head.

"I'm not staring!" Donovan shouted aloud.

Bridgett giggled. "Yes, you were. But it's okay," she said with a smile.

"I hate to say it, but I told you so," Donovan heard Vitality say. "I lied, I love to say it."

"Shut up, Princess," Donovan retorted.

"And now I don't feel so bad for whacking you over the head," came Vitality's quick response.

"Son of Fire," said the girl. "I see you are awake and well."

"I guess," said Donovan. "If Vit would only stop being such a pain in the a-"

"Well then I shall be leaving. If you ever need me, whisper in the wind. It will reach my ears," said the girl. Donovan blinked, and the young girl disappeared.

Donovan blinked a few more times.

"Vit. Was that real?" Donovan asked his Dragon.

"Very. Congrats, you've met the Daughter of the Wind." replied Vitality.

"Umm. What's that mean?" said a confused Donovan.

"I'm not sure," said Vitality. "I'm not sure."

Donovan remained there in the bed until Mary walked into the room, drenched in sweat and emitting a foul odor.

"Get your lazy butt up and get outside. It's almost swords training time," she said.

"You know I was unconscious for most of the day, right?" Donovan replied, slightly annoyed.

"You know I'd have waken your lazy butt up right?" sneered Mary.

"Whatever. Who am I training with?" Donovan asked.

"Well... Brandi. Good luck. Almost had two students die today because she refuses to use a wooden sword. YOU set that rule up for a reason, Brandi." Mary began, talking more to herself now. "So at least try to follow it." With a gulp, Donovan got out of bed.

"Oh, and take a bath first before you do anything. You smell like dragon dung," Mary finished.

Donovan sighed and walked out; he knew it was no use arguing with his sister.

"At least princess' are clean," Donovan heard vitality say.

+++++++

Donovan walked out of his own personal bathing room, set up next to his room, squeaky clean and wearing his full battle gear. "Who said being a legend doesn't have perks?" Donovan thought to himself.

"It obviously does," returned Vitality.

"Shut up, Vit," Donovan teased.

"Bradi's outside waiting for you," Vitality said back.

"Hold on, I have one thing left that I need," he told Vitality.

Donovan slowly opened the chest at the foot of his bed, and took Singe out of it. He strapped the sword to his side, and left his room, heading towards the stairs.

Donovan ran down the many flights of stairs, refusing to use the lifts, and stepped outside into the sunlight. Brandi was in the middle of a fight in the sparring ring area Donovan had set up. The grass had begin to grow in the field, and the ring was easily distinguishable.

Donovan watched as Brandi swung a small, thin sword at a student. The boy tried to draw his sword up and deflect the strike, but he was not nearly as skillful as Brandi. She flicked her wrist, and cut the boy's hand open. The boy dropped his sword and clutched his hand to his chest, crying from the pain.

Brandi let the boy suffer, and moved aside, motioning for a new challenger. The crowd observing the fight backed up several paces, and Brandi began to eye the crowd over for a new target. If only by pure chance, Brandi looked past the crowd and saw Donovan. She motioned for him to come fight.

"Me, Brandi?" he yelled to her.

"No, the other legend of fire," she sarcastically yelled back.

Donovan walked to the ring, and Brandi readied her sword. Donovan pulled Singe from the sheath on his side and held it defensively.

Brandi leapt forward. The fight had begun.