Joshua (Pt. 1)

As I walk down the hallways, I glance back and forth from my schedule and the room numbers. I've been looking for my class for about twenty minutes now, meaning I'm over twenty minutes late.

"Why does this school have to be so big?", I groaned.

Once I thought I was gonna miss my first class, from afar I could see the room number. I sighed in relief and quickly walked towards it. I peeked through the little window of the door and noticed the class was hardly filled with students. I knocked first and opened the door to be greeted by the teacher.

"You must be (y/n). Come in and take a seat. Everyone this is (y/n). She's new here so I expect you all to be nice and respectful", the teacher said.

I sat down on a seat that's in the middle and placed my books on the desk. I couldn't breathe, I felt like everyone was watching. I looked around the room, observing each student and stopped at a guy that was sitting right next to me. His eyes were focused on the small book in front of him. He was quite handsome and pretty at the same time.

"Helloooo."

I shook my head and noticed he was already staring at me, hand waving over my face.

"S-Sorry..I thought you were someone I know", I said and looked away.

I heard him chuckle which caused my face to flush. How embarrassing.

"You have Mr. Wells?", the guys asked.

"Um..yeah..how do you know?", I asked him.

"The book I'm reading is the same one you have on your desk", he said.

"..oh", I said, looking down at the book.

I decided it's best if I stayed quiet so I wouldn't say anything else that would embarrass me. I listened to the teacher speak and wondered what he was talking about. I should've gotten here earlier.

"I'm Joshua by the way", he said.

"I'm..(y/n)", I said.

"I know", he said.

I looked over at him, puzzled. Not sure if he was smiling because I was making a fool out of myself but it was making me uncomfortable.

"The teacher introduced you remember?", he smiled.

I cleared my throat and turned away, slightly looking down so my hair would block my face. Another few minutes pass and I manage to get myself to calm down.

"So do you have him after this?", Joshua asked.

"..um..yeah", I said.

"Cool. Me too", he smiled before returning his focus back at the teacher.

I looked away and began to blush. I had to cover my face with my hair so he wouldn't see me smiling to myself.

~~~~

After class, I was walking down the halls once again to look for Mr. Wells class. Out of all the classes, I'm looking forward to this one. AP English Literature is my favorite subject. I just hope this class is like the one I took in my last high school.

"Hey, Wait up!"

When I turned around, Joshua was running up to me with his books in his hands. I casually fixed my hair and smiled.

"Need help?", he asked.

"Um no..it's okay. You don't have to-"

Without letting me finish my sentence, he grabbed my books and continued walking. I was taken aback and wondered why he would do that.

Once he realized he was the only one walking, he stopped and looked back at me with a smile on his face.

"You comin'?", he chuckled.

I shook my head and walked over to him. While we walked towards the class, he was talking about what classes he had and which one was his favorite one. Surprisingly, it was Mr. Wells class. Apparently, the teacher is serious about us doing our work but takes the chance to make a few jokes here and there.

When we arrived, Mr. Wells wanted us to get with a partner and read a section of the book. Luckily, Joshua volunteered to be my partner and even helped me on some parts that didn't make sense to me.

I was gathering my things as class was coming to an end. This class is way better than the one I took at my old high school. It might be my favorite one of the day and probably the rest of the year.

"Hey, are you busy later on?", Joshua asked.

"Um..not really. Why?", I asked him as I grabbed my books.

"Well..I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go to the movies with me?", he asked, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"Like a...date?", I asked, slightly blushing.

"Yeah..I mean it doesn't have to be if you don't want it to be..", he laughed awkwardly.

"..sure. Sounds fun", I said, smiling.

"Great...I actually have to get to practice right now but I'll pick you up later?", he said.

"Practice?", I questioned.

"Yeah..nerd band..I know..lame", he slightly chuckled.

"I don't think that's lame. I used to play the flute", I said.

"Oh really. That's nice. So I'll pick you up like around 8", he said.

"Okay", I said, blushing.

I began to walk away, out of the class room until he called out for me.

"Hey...aren't you gonna give me your number..or something. How am I gonna pick you up if I don't know your home address", he said, laughing a little.

"Oh!..right..sorry", I said, turning to him to put my number in his phone.

"Great. I'll see you then", he smiled at me before walking out of the classroom.

I smiled at myself and walked back home to get ready for my date.