"You taken up a disregard for the rules over the years. I thought assigning you the position of prefect would help you with that issue, but I was obviously incorrect." She lectured.

I could feel my face redden. I was used to these sort of lectures from her, but not usually in front of other students. Their stared seemed to burn holes right through me.

"You not only skipped out on your corridor duty on the first night of school, but you attempted to have Mr. Zhang cover for you. Dragging other students into your messes needs to stop right here, right now!"

I hung my head.

"Yes, professor."

"The three of you will be cleaning out the awards case outside of my classroom. I want each of those trophies and plaques to be cleaned and dusted the muggle way before the end of today--no wands!" She held out her hand. We all passed her our wands.

"You two may begin. I need a quick word with Mr. Jackson before he begins his punishment."

The other two left without another word.

"Percy Jackson, it is no surprise to either of us that you wound up in my office again." McGonagall stated. "I wanted this year to be a fresh start for you! None of this skipping class to go to Hogsmede business again. None of the excuses for why you failed to complete your Transfiguration essays. None of the starting fights with the Slytherin Quidditch team members..." She went on, listing things I had done to cause trouble in past years. Everything I had done was never meant to cause trouble--I had usually done those things out of fun! Apart from the whole 'starting fights with Slytherin Quidditch team members' thing, I never wanted to harm anybody. I didn't see what the big deal was. I was as much of a troublemaker as the Weasley twins were and their lectures were never as long as mine.

"Mr. Jackson, Mr. Jackson! Are you listening?" She asked. My mind had went off on a tangent. I'd blocked out nearly every word she'd said.

"Of course, professor."

She sighed.

"Percy," she said. Great, the first name card. Never a good card to pull. "I'd swear it to any professor that you are a good student. You are smart, but you don't use your education to its full potential. This breaks my heart! You could do amazing things. You could do amazing things for yourself and for the wizarding world! You are a strong wizard, but you need to start using that strength for good! Too many strong wizards have been lost due to misplacing that magic. Dark times are coming, and you will need to make the decision as to how you use your gift! I'm only worried because you don't seem to know the difference between right and wrong all of the time. I just want the best from you, all of us professors do."

She had a desperation in her eyes that I had never seen from her before in all of my years as her student. I had a feeling this was about more than just attending classes, she was afraid of the decisions I'd make outside of the classroom.

"Professor," I sat up. "I know where my loyalties lie. They lie with Dumbledore, with with you, and with all of the people who are fighting for the right side."

A small smile tugged on her lips, she fought it back and shook her head at me.

"I do not doubt you for a second. You are a good kid, Mr. Jackson. I only wished to have this talk with you hoping that the message would sink through: you need to begin taking your grades more seriously for your future. It's your sixth year at this school and right now is when your grades will start to matter more."

"I understand that, I will try harder. I swear on it. It's just hard for me to focus on that stuff sometimes. I have so many other things, like Quidditch, that are just more important to me." I admitted.