30 - Battle in Inkigayo

Jungkook POV

"Guys, are we all ready?" Taeyong asked us all. Our leader approached us one by one. I was sitting in my chair, silently focusing. I nodded and gave a thumbs up when he approached me. This is our fifth performance of our debut song, "Open Up", and we are nominated for the number 1 position in SBS Inkigayo. We are up against SOS. This is another Taehyung vs. Jungkook showdown!

Because of my win in the Baeksang Awards, many people got curious of our group. We released teaser photos and videos, and it seems like the whole Kpop community is anticipating for our debut. We get daily updates from our managers, and we would read comments of people on how excited they are for our launching and our music.

When SOS released their teaser video announcing that they will have their comeback on February 5, the same date of our debut, Twitter exploded! #UltimateRivals became the number one trending hashtag.

Tweets coming in are mostly about another showdown between me and Taehyung.

MVPs are non-stop tweeting about how good SOS is, and reminding people of their daesangs. They are maligning our looks, calling us talentless and wannabees. But our new fandom is also fighting back, posting positive tweets about us, and retweeting our photos and videos.

But since that picture from Soompi came out, a new ship has also emerged. VKook or Taekook. Videos of us crossing paths or me looking at him and Taehyung looking at me has trended in Youtube. Many fans have noticed that even we are pitied as rivals, we look cute together. Like really?!

Then the inevitable happened. The day of reckoning finally happened. Our music videos and albums were released simultaneously. After 24 hours, the Youtube view count of our video says 5,629,234... I looked into SOS's new song, "Never", and its view count is 8,324,129. We lost in the battle in Youtube. It must be because they have a more solid international fan base.

Yoongi called us, and said that even if our view count is not higher than SOS, he is still very happy with the numbers, 5 million views for a debut group is fairly high. He also reported that our digital and album sales is also high and said we still have a chance in winning in the Music Shows over SOS.

"Let us go on stage guys." Our manager called all of us.

As we walked towards where the stage is, we met the members of SOS, all sweaty and looking exhausted. They must be done with their performance. As hoobaes, we gave good manners and bowed our seniors. Taehyung gave a slight nod and continued walking to their dressing room.

During promotions, there was only one time when we were able to talk with the members of SOS. It was when we went to their dressing room and give them a copy of our debut album, as courtesy and tradition.

But Taehyung and I never had that chance to really talk. Maybe this is how it is and should be between the two of us. We started from friends to lovers to enemies to now colleagues?

Maybe it was for the best, that I saw him and Jongdae in the basement parking lot after the Awards After Party. A big dose of reality that Kim Taehyung could only ever love someone within his class like the presidential son, while I was only a filler to his physical needs.

No time for self-pity Kookie! Let us show them what you got!

Taehyung POV

All performers are called on stage for the announcement of this week's number one. We were standing in the right side, while Jungkook's boy group are standing in the left side. Mr. Sung has updated us earlier that we are higher in terms of digital single sales, but it is close. Please, I hope we win! All of us have been working non-stop to produce this album and I cannot afford another defeat by Kookie!

Jinyoung, our hyung, is a host of the show, he is standing in the center with Jisoo and Doyoung to breakdown the scores.

Here it goes!

Ok, as expected we are leading the digital single sales and the album sales.. Good!

Wait!... they have higher SNS score? But we have a higher Youtube view count?!

They have a higher advance viewer and on-air score? This is going to be close!

"This week's number one is..... SOS!"

I felt relieved! Thank you Lord!

They handed me the trophy, for me to give a brief speech.

"MVPs! Thank you to GPS, our president, Mr. Sung, our families and everyone who bought our album and single, Never. We promise we will work even harder! Love you MVPs!"

All of my group members are hugging each other... I even hugged Bobby.

"Jiwon, you did well."

"Thank you Tae." Giving me his tightest embrace. We never talked about the incident in the restroom, but one night, when we were all recording, he gave me a mixtape, with the note, "I am sorry, I hope you listen to it."

When I had the time to listen to his mixtape in my place one day, Jiwon was rapping all his feelings about me. The last track is titled, "Letting Go." No, it is not the epic Frozen song, but it is about letting go of his love for me. The track was so good and emotional, it should be released to the public. Then I texted him. "You are my friend and brother, forever."

The members of CGate approached us and bowed at all of us. When Jungkook, passed in front of me, I tapped his shoulder and whispered at him.

"Good luck next time, bunny."

He smiled awkwardly and continued to walk to the exit.

-----

(A/N)

Over the holidays, I was watching Produce 101 Season 2 in DVD and "Never" is my favorite performance. I never understood it why Nu'est got so many love after the show, but now I get it. JR was still simply the best. But I guess it was a blessing in disguise that he didn't get it... if it wasn't for him, Nu'est wouldn't get this resurgence.