t w o

There was a heavy bright light, blinding it's way through slightly as I blinked over and over, a gentle sting following the more I focused my vision.

I groaned looking around with a squint here and there, "Mom?" My voice cracked and I swallowed away the dryness that was left in my mouth.

There was an on going beeping sound and my head turned towards the side as I slowly pushed my aching body to sit up and for a moment I was convinced I was alone.

There was a boy slouched with his legs over the arm of the chair, his head hanging back off the other side as he snored loudly, worlds mumbling from his mouth and I rubbed my eyes and sat forward

"Stiles?" I questioned, more to myself, surprised to see him sleeping in the worlds most uncomfortable position.

He shot up, his body moving all different types of ways before he stood up and looked towards me. His mouth fell open and his arms reached out, "Karley? Oh my god, Karley your awake." He smiled in relief, before he pointed at me then the door then back at me before he ran out the room with no warning.

I shook my head a little, a mix of confusion and excruciating pain banging the walls of my head before Stiles burst back through the doors followed by a nurse putting on some blue latex gloves as she walked over.

"Good to see you're awake Karley, I'm nurse McCall but you are welcome to call me Melissa." She smiled gently, heading straight towards me as Stiles stood back.

I panicked a little, swallowing and letting myself sit back slightly as she moved towards me "Don't worry I'm here to look after you, Stiles made sure we did everything we could to make sure you were okay" She reassured and I looked between them and nodded.

Questions circled my mind as Melissa examined me. She had given me something to help ease the aching pain in my head but it didn't stop the ongoing thoughts of the things that happened to end me up here.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" She asked, fiddling with wires and tubes that were connected to my hands and face.

"Uhm" I hummed, not in thought, but to hold off because I remembered every single moment of what happened.

It all came rushing back, the argument. My last words. The swerving. The rails. The un-controlling screams and lastly...

My mothers smile.

"My mom." I swallowed, looking straight at Mellisa and pulling my hand back from hers. She tilted her head up, "Where's my mom, what did you do to her?!" I grabbed onto her wrist in panic and Stiles rushed over.

He quickly took my hand into his own and Melissa stepped back, letting him sit beside me as he shushed my worries away. "Karley you need to stay calm and listen to what I'm about to say, can you do that?"

His voice was exactly like her smile. Comforting and peaceful, which only meant that it was bad and he knew it was. That whatever was about to come next was going to break me more than I was already broken.

He took my hand and smiled softly, but it was one of those where he tried to stop his lip from quivering as he sat closer. I focused on him, my breathing steadied and I prepared myself for what he was going to say "Your mom and Mark they..."

By this time, Melissa had already left the room to just us. And when he opened his mouth to continue, I shook my head and gripped his hand "Don't tell me" I whispered, looking down as my tears filled my eyes.

"Karley" He tried to comfort again and I bit my lip, took in a breath and looked back up to see he was crying.

My heart shattered and my head shook even more "No... No! You're lying Stiles I know you wouldn't let that happen. Tell me they saved her, they saved her first. Tell me!"

I gripped his shirt and he pulled me close to his chest, his head resting on top of mine as I practically screamed my breaking heart out. My tears sobbed into his shirt and I could feel his breath hitching as he joined me to cry.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." His voice broke, his hand cradling my head as gently as he could as if he was scared to break me even more. "They did everything they could I promise." He whispered, my grip tightening as I continued to bawl my heart and everything else within me out into his chest.

***

"I can't believe she's Stiles' cousin" Scott said as his mom closed the door and faced him with a long exhale of breath expressing her sadness.

"did you listen in?" She asked. Scott responded with a nod and then looked at his feet. The two of them talked quietly. They kept some space between them, hearing the faint cries from inside the room.

"She's so young. And she's lost everything." His mom said shaking her head. She looked towards the door only imagining how broken the two were.

"I know, I remember her from when we were younger. But all of that was a blur and now, I couldn't even recognise her. All I feel is this giant wave of sadness" Scott looked down as he stepped towards the door, wanting to do what he did best and help the two. But there was nothing one could do for another mourning except let them grieve the way they needed and comfort them when they needed.

His mom walked over and pulled him into a comforting hug. He soon pulled back and smiled as soon as the sheriff came in.

"I got here as fast as I could. Is she still awake?" He took off his hat and held it by his waist as Scott's mom nodded and pointed to the room they were in.

They all looked towards the door, the quiet but aching cries still getting worse as the seconds went by.

The sherif sighed, taking a deep breath before he headed in and closed the door behind him. Scott moved towards the window and watched as the sherif placed his things down and walked over to the two straight away, wrapping them both into one big hug and there the three were, accepting the tragic loss of an aunt, a sister and a loving mom.