O n e

A/N: BEFORE YOU READ. August 2022 i began to amend the book, changing from third person to first as well as altering some parts of the story. If you are an old reader and had began before all this please don't be confused to the change.

happy reading xx

***

"Will you stop moaning about it for once Karley!"  There was a deepness within his voice. It filled the room of the car and I rolled my shoulders as I slightly turned my head towards the passenger seat where my mom was sat listening to every word. The roads were clear and only the bright moonlight lit the way as we headed across the bridge to a new destination.

"Mom?!" I slightly yelled, almost begging for her back up but instead she was silent.

I wish I could say I relied on my mother for almost everything, she was my best friend as I grew into my teenage years, we only had each other to hold since my father had passed. But that was until she moved on to a new man.

He wasn't my favourite person in the world. It was moments like these that made me feel that way.

My mother sighed, "Mark is right. We have to go back to Beacon Hills again, it's the last and only place for us to go." The car drove over a few bumps in the road and I groaned with each one, memories of my old life playing in my mind.

"I'm so sick of moving around! Is it seriously so hard to stay in one town for longer than two weeks?" I lashed out, trying my best to make it clear that this was the last place I could've imagined us going to.

It wasn't the fact that the town was bad, it was just that time and time again bad things constantly kept happening. And it all just happened to be while I was living at Beacon Hills.

Bad memories always outweighed the good ones I had of the town, and that convinced me that after a few years of not being there, things will have changed, and none of it will feel the tiniest bit of normal. Even the good things about it.

"Well this is the last place and we're staying so get over it" My step father let out a long groan before he raised his voice again "You'll do what your mother and I say, Karely. It's as simple as that" He turned his head around to look at me, making sure I could see the anger I was brewing up inside of him.

"This isn't fair. You're not my dad you don't get to tell me what to do. You guys always make me move. I want a real life with real friends and real parents that want me to succeed but all you guys do is ruin that for me!" And there it was, the rage I was holding in the minute my mom told me to pack my stuff, right up to this very moment.

"You're spoiled, we do everything for you" My mom snapped and Mark continued to nod in agreement.

I looked between them, both of them staring at me with utter disappointment. My mouth hung open and all I could manage to say was... "I hate you."

I swallowed, my mother taken back at words she's never had to hear before. She nodded a little, turning back towards her front and not saying a word.

I sighed, throwing my head back against the seat and biting my lip to trap away all the mixing emotions that were ravelling my body.

"How dare you upset your mother that way." Mark turned to look back at me again, my hand on the wheel while his body fully faced me. I slouched back as he opened his mouth to continue, "She's right, all you are is a spoiled brat that ruins everything for  your mom and I's happiness. You're unsupportive, lazy, rude" He counted on his fingers.

We must've all thought it was going to be a quiet night on the road to think that we would be able to all successfully scream our throats out at each other,  that even my step father forgot to care about controlling the vehicle.

I glanced between him and the window, another finger about to be counted as he thought of more insults. But when my eyes caught what he couldn't keep his eyes out for, I gasped taking off my belt to lean over "The road-" I yelled, attempting to help steer the car out of the way "Look out!"

He snapped his head back, both hands tightly holding onto the wheel. There was a glimpse of a fluffy coat that belonged to some sort of deer. Or maybe a small fox. Darting right across the road, but not quick enough to pass before it was too late.

Mark made a tighter grip to the steering wheel, hands twisting around it as he turned it to his left, then slightly to the right, trying to keep in control as the I watched my mom grip onto the door beside her.

"Mom!" I let the word slip out of my mouth with fear, reaching over and grabbing onto her hand tightly. The car spun around in a circle, the screams from my mother making me fear even more.

My step father's breathing got heavier as he finally took one last sharp turn making the car swerve into the side railings of the motorway.

They shattered in two, the car gliding right between the open space of the bridge. My mom cried louder, gripping my hand tighter as we both watched as we fell with the vehicle.

My hand began to slip from hers, my body hitting against each back seat door before we crashed to a stop. The car wobbled slightly, resting on its side as the windows smashed to pieces, becoming apart of us before deciding it was time to stop.

I took in a sharp breath, the pain shooting through each and every part of my body but all I could focus on was my mom.

I looked over at her, my fingertips still grazing hers as she breathed slowly. Blood pooled as her body laid uncontrollably on its side. Her eyes fluttered slowly, opening once more as she softly smiled at me.

My eyes continued to tear, my cries silent but flowing like I was screaming out every bit of sadness and hurt I had left in my body. She gently moved her hand to rest on top of mine as she nodded softly, her smile becoming almost peaceful and comforting.

There was a soft smell of burnt smoke, and I blinked slowly, one last tear becoming the welcoming to a new darkness that made everything feel numb.