Prologue

Have you ever thought about how rumours work? First, the rumour develops inside the mind of one person. The rumour is than passed on to one or two people, and nobody really believes it. But then, more people hear it, and speculation begins. Did she do that? Is he really? And suddenly, so many people have heard this rumour, that it has to be true. It has to be believed.

Most people start rumours about others to hurt them, embarrass them, and ruin their reputation.

And then there's me.

I started some rumours about myself for one reason, and one reason only: popularity.

Before entering highschool, I'd watched enough movies to know that I did not want to be one of those kids who was picked on and made fun of, nor did I want to be completely ignored. I wanted to be popular, because, if you've seen any highschool movies, it's the only way those four years will be bearable.

So, when I started in freshman year, I made sure I was as pretty as possible (it helps) and integrated myself into the popular clique. It wasn't that hard, actually. Just get on the good side of a few people, and the rest follow suit. But, being the greedy person I am, I wanted more. I wanted everybody to know who I was.

It was so simple. Create a believable rumour, and live up to the reputation. Obviously, I didn't say I was a slut or anything. I had more respect for myself than that. No, I created a rumour that truly scared people.

A girl called Jessie Thorpe, who had been in the same year as me, had suddenly dropped out without an explanation. Even the few friends she had didn't know why she left. Except for me.

Being the amazing Sherlock Holmes prodigy that I am, I discovered that this girls father worked with mine in the same advertising company. My dad asked around, and found out that her father was offered another job and they moved to Alaska. Since I was the only person in my school who knew this, I decided to use it to my advantage.

I spread a rumour that Jessie left because of me. I didn't add too many details, I thought it would be best if the rumour developed among others, but to sum things up I had said that Jessie tried being smart with me, and I replied.. viciously.

I didn't say I physically attacked her, but I did let people know I had quite a sharp tongue. Not to say I don't, but because none of this actually happened I had to leave an impression.

The rumour caught on quickly, and soon everybody believed that, when you got on the wrong side of me, I could be such a cruel and cold-hearted bitch that I made a girl drop out. It was genius.

Flash forward to the present, and I, junior Jolie Lorena Copeland (how do you do?) am one of the most well-known people in my school. And I love it.

~~

A/N: Hey there. So, this is a fanfic I've posted on tumblr (not yet completed) and by popular demand I am now posting it on here. You know, maybe. This is the prologue, and I'll also be posting the first chapter too. Depending on how well recieved it is here, I'll post the rest as well. If you want to continue reading, you can go check it out on my tumblr which you can find on my page here. So, yeah.