'Thanks daddy. I still have my pocket money.'

'What about you Josh?' Eleanor asked her son. 'You always spend your allowance the day you get it.'

'Um---we don't have to pay. We will be working at the back stage,' he avoided his mother's eyes.

It was true; he would be working back stage. Josh was an adept sound engineer. He managed the sound engineering every Sunday when his father preached at their local church.

'Would you like me to say a few words?' Pastor Ralph enquired, chewing on his steak. 'Do an altar call?'

'No, that won't be necessary,' Josh squirmed. 'We have everything covered.

He could just picture his father trying to exorcise the demons out of the housemusic band, Swedish House Mafia, a trio of house disc jockeys as they belted out their chart smashing song Miami to Ibiza.

'Are you sure you wouldn't want dad to witness to the youth Josh?' Shanna needled her brother. 'You know daddy has a passion to witness to teenagers.'

Josh smiled at his sister as he courteously returned the kick under the table, but his prophetic fourteen year old sister had seen it coming and had timeously shifted out of harm's way, resulting in Josh's toe having fellowship with the sharp steel bar on Shanna's chair. He squinted and cringed silently.

'Are you not well Josh?' Pastor Ralph enquired.

'I am in the best of health dad,' Josh gulped down the last of his peas and carrots. 'May I be excused mum?'

'Sure, I'll call you when the dishes need to be washed,' Eleanor dabbed her napkin at her lips. Josh and Shanna took turns each evening to do the dinner dishes.

'And top of the morning to you my brother Joshua Mitchell,' Josh felt a sharp smack across his shoulders as he dipped his head into his locker.

Josh winced. 'No need to dislocate my spine, to show your enthusiasm to see me, my African American brother.' Josh greeted his best friend Samuel Marshall.

'Ah but if was the new school babe climbing your back, you would not be complaining,' Sam laughed.

'New school babe?' Josh questioned.

'Don't tell me you have not yet seen the blonde sex -on -wheels babe every guy has accepted a bet on,' Sam pointed his head diagonally across from where they stood. The bet was to see who would be the first guy to get her into bed. Josh slowly looked over Sam's broad shoulder. He and Sam were both sixteen, but Sam was head and shoulders above Josh. Sam loved food and he held an affinity for Eleanor Mitchell's meatloaf.

'Oh her,' Josh murmured, looking at the girl reading the timetable on the wall. 'She knows how to handle a bike.'

Sam laughed crudely. 'Every male in this school wants to test her riding prowess.'

'Not every male,' Josh disputed.

'Ah yes, my virgin friend. "Sex must be reserved for the sanctity of the marriage bed," Quote, Unquote,' Sam mocked.

Josh stabbed a finger in Sam's chest. 'You wouldn't dare repeat that in front of my father now would you Samuel Marshall?'

'Hey man, I respect the Reverend, man,' Sam held his hands up defensively.

'Is there a problem here?'

Josh and Sam spun around, both spoke simultaneously.

'No,' Josh spoke.

'Yes,' he's assaulting me,' Sam cowered, looking for sympathy.

Josh grunted, casting a disgusted look at his friend for attempting to garner support from a girl! Even if she was an attractive blonde with the most piercing grey eyes Josh had ever looked into, in all of his sixteen years on God's earth.

'He's assaulting you!' The girl turned to face Sam. She raised a questioning eyebrow, skimming over Sam's bulky figure. Josh folded his arms and grinned. He also took the time to appreciate how nicely her skinny jeans curved over her shapely bottom.

'Yeah man,' Sam squealed. 'Appearances can be deceptive. This Mitchell guy can get violent!'

'Is that true?' The girl spun around and faced Josh. The smile quickly disappeared off his face. Sam stood behind the girl, sticking his tongue out at his best friend.

'I'm not violent,' Josh answered. 'But I would like to wipe that smile of Sam's face.'

'You see! you see!' Sam took the liberty of placing his palm on the girl's slender shoulders, 'just because I teased him about his virginity.'

'Sam!' Josh was redder than a beetroot.

The girl glared at Sam's hands her shoulder. 'Somebody is going to pick you up from the floor if you don't remove your hand,' she hissed.

'Come on babe,' Sam grinned. 'You not going to hurt a gentle lamb like me are you my--.'

Sam did not get to finish his sentence. The girl's knee and her elbow made contact in quick succession with Sam's stomach. He clutched his stomach, as he writhed agonizingly on the floor.

'Where did you learn that?' Josh asked in amazement.

'Take care, Preacher Boy,' she smiled and walked past him.

'What's your name?' Josh questioned her retreating back. If she knew who he was, it was only fair to know her name. He was disappointed when she continued walking. Then she stopped halfway and looked over her shoulder.

'Kaz Edwards,' she grinned and disappeared down the hall.

Kaz what kind of a name is that for a girl?

'Josh,' Sam moaned from the floor.

'Sam,' Josh dropped to his knees. 'Are you okay?'

'I think I'm dying,' Sam wailed. 'Bye my friend. Tell your mum, I'll miss her meatloaf.'

'Crazy guy,' Josh laughed and playfully booted Sam's foot.

'Help me up brother. She packs a mean punch.'

'Serves you right Sam,' Josh offered his arm to Sam. 'Why in blazes did you have to mention my virginity,' Josh whispered.

'I was just teasing man, no big deal.'

'No big deal! Easy for you to say when your conquests amount to double digits!'

'I'd love to lap up the credit man, but it's not that many,' Sam laughed.

'Hey, I better run,' Josh checked his watch. 'I have an appointment with Shakespeare,' Josh groaned. He hated literature.

When Josh entered his literature class, he instantly spotted Kaz sitting at the second row from the back. The seat next to her was empty. She had her head down. Every guy in the class was wolf whistling at her. She chewed on her gum, ignoring the attention. There was comments about wanting to brush her blonde curls of hair. Others about taking her sexy jeans to the laundry. The girl was made of some amazing mettle. Nothing seemed to faze her. At his own peril, Josh slid into the seat next to Kaz.

'Hi,' Josh mumbled. All he got was a glare.

'Thank you for coming to my assistance out there,' Josh tried again.

'Anytime, virgin boy,' she answered softly with a grin.

The entire class went quiet. One could hear a pin drop. Josh groaned, regretting the day he was born. His entire face went tomato red.

           -end chapter one-