No. 35

Usually in their frees together, Sirius and Lily enjoyed a casual hour of crude jokes and general ease but today, Lily sat rigidly, occasionally furtively glancing over at Sirius who was enthralled in a piece of parchment, writing proudly with his new biro. She had never been particularly good at concealing things whether it was her emotions or in this case, secrets especially big ones.

Although Ora had told her to keep her decision quiet, she'd made a fatal error: not giving Lily someone to confide in. If she had a third party, Lily could talk and get excited about things with them. Everyone knew that Lily had an inability to keep things secret but if she had a trusted person to tell, it was like she could get rid of the urge. However, Sirius, James and even Emmeline were out of the question and her usual confidant, Marlene would probably not want to hear it. There was always Dorcas and Mary but as of late, Dorcas had had her tongue down Barty's throat 99% of the time and Mary just didn't get hyped about things which was always dissatisfying.

Lily was on her own on this one... and it was driving her mad.

"Hey Lily, do you have a spare quill, I think this biro is running out... also look at my biro - "

"What?" Lily asked, sitting even more rigid, if that was possible, "Yes... I think so... definitely. Sorry, I'm rambling let me check."

Quickly, she ducked down under the table, taking as long as possible to fish the quill out of her satchel. She'd decided that the best way to keep the secret was firstly,not talk to him if possible and secondly, if forced to talk to him, to be as brief as possible.

"Here you go," She replied curtly, sliding it over the desk. As she did so, she couldn't help but catch a glimpse of what he was working on. Annoyingly, it looked very interesting, filled with swirling lines and arrows, "Sirius..."

"Hold on..." He said, drawing a long arcing line before slowly looking up, "Yep?"

"Oh, I was just wondering what you were working on," She replied after a long, incredibly awkward pause, "It looked kind of cool, that's all, you don't have to tell me. In fact, maybe you shouldn't, I'm kind of working."

"Okay, I won't," He replied, furrowing his brow a little but otherwise seeming indifferent.

For a minute or two, she managed to work before her curiosity got the better of her, "Okay, fine, tell me but be quick because I really do have to work... go on, I said be quick!"

Quickly, he swivelled the parchment around, running his finger down one of the lines, "I was bored so I thought I'd try and make today's truth clause more interesting with spells and crap. So the story goes like this, I was with this chick called Sarah... I don't know, I'll probably remember with Ora. Anyway, we went to a café and she ordered for me without even checking.... so you see there, I was going to like make smoke come out of my wand."

He gave her a vaguely excited look which was met by confusion, "Um... why?"

"Because I was annoyed that she ordered for me without my permission, it shows I was annoyed."

"Doesn't seem like a big deal to me," Lily shrugged, "One time Tuney ordered me a scone and I wanted a cake and do you know what I did?"

Sirius's brows knitted together, "I don't know, hexed her?"

"No, I shrugged it off and ate it," Lily replied, realising that she hadn't thought about the secret in at least a minute. Of course by thinking about forgetting it, she remembered it but this was still a big deal.

"When I asked her why she'd done that we acted like we were dating and it got weird so I pretended I need the loo, ran upstairs but really I climbed onto the roof and jumped off," He winced slightly at the memory, "Hurt my foot a little but worth it. I mean she did spot me landing because a man jumping off a roof isn't sutble but by that time she was so annoyed she didn't want to continue. Anyway, I was thinking at that moment, I'd do sparks or something."