The Secret | Chapter 25

Another couple of days passed and Julian was finally leaving. Stark had to attend with him only because Julian had to make sure I wasn't going to keep meeting with him.

Stark appeared at my bedroom door with a grim look. I met his gaze and instantly wanted to

I watched then leave and I quickly threw on one of the dresses he had recently bought me. I ran my fingers through my hair and quickly hurried down stairs.

Christian stopped me at the door with a stern look.

"You better come back." He hissed. I nodded and happily placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I will!" And with that I quickly left the house and jogged around in the empty feilds. I was finally alone, finally away from the vampires. I was free-- sadly this feeling wouldn't last forever.

I happily made my way to Max's place only to come across a beautiful deer. I stopped in my tracks, crouched and stared at the beauty that was prancing around in front of me.

I so badly wanted to reach out and stroke its hide, the beautiful brown fur that simmered cleanly.

"Go ahead." Max's wife stated.

"Is it okay?" I replied. I glanced at the slim woman beside me.

"Of course, this little guy comes around the children often." She smiled kindly.

I hesitantly stretched out my hand and gently rubbed its back. I glanced up at the woman and smiled.

"I forgot to introduce myself when you visited last," She kneeled beside me, "I'm Ruth."

I nodded and chuckled.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm not very good with introductions." I admitted.

She nodded and slightly nudged me. I took a deep breath and took in the sight of the beautiful animal in front of me.

"You seem very frail and scared. I noticed that you were nearly cowering under Julian's gaze."

"He's not what Max says he is." I managed to speak. Ruth sighed and rubbed my back.

"It's a messed up world we're living, vampires aren't the type to be kind." She groaned.

I nodded and bit the inside of my cheek to hold back my next sentense but somehow it slipped.

"Well, there is one." I smiled at the thought.

She raised a brow and shook my shoulders with an exaggerated smile.

"What's his name? Is he cute? Do you like him?" She instantly bombarded me with questions. I hesitantly smiled and glanced to the ground trying to hide my red cheeks.

"His name is Stark," I chuckled, "he's cute, I guess. My feelings are sort of -- out if control at the moment." I chewed my lip and gently gave my head a shake.

"Let me guess, Julian is preventing you from hooking up with him?" She chuckled.

"Julian is a monster compared to other vampires I've met in my life. He's done some terrible things." I sighed.

"He just needs time to warm up to you, all men are jerks when they start to like a girl." She leaned against me and smiled up at the sky.

"I'm surprised he let me come her by myself." I whispered accidently.

Ruth noticed the panicked expression on my face and climbed back to her feet and reach her hand out to me.

"Let's get you something to eat, you're too tiny." She quickly grabbed my hand and tugged me to my feet. I didn't protest as she pulled me along in a dentermined march.

I smiled to myself as we headed inside, the warmth consumed me with the first step inside.

"Here you go." She sat me on a wood chair and brought me a bowl if rice and chicken.

I hesitantly grabbed the fork and scooped some of the food onto the fork and quickly brought it to my mouth.

"This is really good!" I forked away at the food in front of me until there was nothing left.

"Does that man ever feed you?" She asked.

I nodded and savoured the last bite. I smiled and leaned into the chair.

"Vampires don't really have a sense of taste so." I sighed and stretched.

She nodded and smiled while watching me curiously.

"Did you know that you have an extra heartbeat. Max and I noticed it the last time you and Julian had stopped by." She frowned. I froze and raised a brow.

"Come again?" I asked.

She put a hand to my belly and closed her eyes as if trying to concentrate.

"You're pregnant." She announced just as Max walked in the door. He immediately dropped the logs of wood he had been carrying and he met my gaze with wide eyes.

"Ruth, why did you go and say something like that?" He asked nervously.

I was frozen in place, I stared at the floor and took a deep breath.

"That's not possible." I met Ruth's gaze and stood.

"Sweetheart, you're carrying Julian's child." She sighed and sat on the couch without a care.

I glanced at Max and quickly stormed out of the cabin. My heart raced painfully inside my chest as the world spun under my feet.

"N-no." I cried and grapsed a nearby tree. Max appeared at my side and rested a hand on my back.

"What happened? How'd you get pregnant?" He asked.

"H-he's a monster! Please! Please don't tell him!" I pleaded to Max, I couldn't have Julian know about the baby, I couldn't give him a reason to keep me around.

Max looked saddened as he watched me, I grasped his arm and felt the warm tears soill down my cheeks.

"He can't know!" I cried.

"Okay, okay. We'll keep it a secret. The minute your belly starts to become noticeable; come to us and we'll hide you and your baby." He tried to calm me down. I nodded and glanced at my stomach.

I was going to have a baby...A vampires baby...

"A secret...I can do this. I'll go into hiding the moment the baby is born and I'll live as a normal human again." I chewed my dry bottom lip and gave Max a sad smile, "Thank you."

I gave his arm one last squeeze, wiped my eyes and began walking back to the mansion. To hell.