Chapter Fifteen: Emily

Start from the beginning

He whispers my name softly under his breath as he walks towards me, and I reach a pale thin hand out to him, wanting him so badly after all our time apart. When Will reaches me he ignores my outstretched hand and reaches for my face, holding it in his hands and stroking my cheek gently with his thumb. Tears roll silently down my face as I lean my head against his sturdy chest, and as he holds me, this is when it fully hits me just how much I almost lost. I cry harder, silently but sadly, and Will pulls away a tiny bit, taking my hands and looking deep into my swimming eyes. "Em, is there something wrong? Do you want me to go?" Will asks concernedly, but I shake my head vehemently, trying to hold back the flow. I rest my head on his taut stomach, breathing in his familiar scent and calming myself down. "Are you angry at me? I know you should be, after everything I've put you through, but I couldn't resist coming to see you one last time. I've been so fucking worried, I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep without knowing if you were alright, and I couldn't stand it every time I reminded myself that I was the reason that you were in here I just.." Will trailed off, and I shook my head at his silly outburst. I tugged on his hands, indicating that he should sit down. Jilly had instinctively left us alone, so the room was silent as Will pulled up a chair next to my bed, still holding my tiny hands in his huge ones. I smiled lovingly down at him, trying to convey all my love and happiness in one single look. I took one of his hands and held it up to the sunlight, so our entwined fingers turned gold, and twisted them this way and that, like a child might with their mother. Then I lifted his hand to my face, and kissed the knuckle of each finger softly, looking up at him as I did so. His eyes were closed, a blissful look on his face. I shook his hand a little, so that his eyes flew open and met mine quizzically. I let go of his other hand, and raised it to my chest, placing it over where my heart lay beating. Then, I took the other hand and put it over where his heart was, feeling his steady heart drum under my fingers. I looked strongly into his eyes, trying to tell him that our hearts were one now, and that I would never leave again. His eyes suddenly brightened in understanding, and he smiled happily. Slowly, always watching my face to check if this was okay, he leaned over my legs and pressed his lips softly to mine, and suddenly there were fireworks again.

Coming back from an ordeal like mine, it was very hard. Getting used to being human again was extremely difficult, but the hardest part of it all was revealing everything to my mum. She still thought I was dead, so I have no idea how much of a shock it was for her to see me walking towards her for the first time in months. Her eyes widened, and for a minute I thought she was going to faint. I walked slowly and hesitantly up to her, unsure how I was going to explain this time. "Emily?" Mum whispered, and I nodded bashfully. "But, you're dead, I saw the police report, I went to your FUNERAL! What the hell is going on?" Mum asked frantically, and she reached out as if to touch me, but faltered, almost as if she wasn't sure whether I was real or not. I waved at her, and wondered what to say next. "Is it really you?" she asked again, and I nodded. "Yeah Mum, it's really me. I'm so sorry about everything, but I have a really good excuse, I promise." I said, then I looked back at Will, searching for his approval. He nodded encouragingly and smiled, and I turned back to Mum confidently. "Come on Mum, I'll fill you in," I said, and taking her hand I lead her over to a seat, and began to tell her everything.

After the air was clear between Mum and I, life went back to how it was before it all began. Will, Jilly and I graduated high school, Will the handsome school captain, Jilly receiving an award for her dancing and me becoming dux of school, graduating top of the class. After a blur of ceremonies, thrown hats and diplomas and a thousand and one celebratory parties it was over, our school days finally behind us. The future had never looked brighter, with the promise of university, independence and adulthood on the definitely nearer looking horizon. The three of us were enrolled in one of the state's top universities, Jilly on an arts scholarship, Will going into pre-law and me on the fast track to my dream job as a front page journalist, like I'd been dreaming since I was five. But before all that the three of us were taking a gap year together on a tour of Europe, before the final stop in Hawaii, like we'd always promised we would do. It was all shaping up to become a perfect life, barely marked by what had happened to us. It was the middle of the summer holidays, just before Christmas and the entire pack had decided to go on a picnic together, one of the last before we all parted ways, at least for the foreseeable future. We were all sitting around a massive campfire, even though it was around 4 or 5 in afternoon. We were all laughing and talking, drinking in the beautiful summer's day and enjoying each other's company like we hadn't in months. I was sitting with Jilly on one side and Will on the other, when Jilly nudges me and signals. I roll my eyes, and pull out my guitar as Jilly calls for attention. "OI! Emily here has something she needs to say!" Jilly shouts, and everyone immediately stops their conversations and looks at me. I feel the butterflies grow in my stomach, surely by now I would be used to people staring at me. I absentmindedly strum on my guitar's strings, taking strength from its familiar feel. I had been playing the guitar ever since I could remember, and the one I owned now had been mine since before my dad left Mum and I. In fact, it was one of the last presents he ever gave to me. And, even though I didn't like to admit it, I had also been told on numerous occasions that I had a good singing voice, and had started writing and composing my own music when I was about 11. Taking inspiration from everyday life, writing songs and putting them to my own music was my personal escape, a way for me to leave the real world behind for a few hours, especially when something was upsetting me. Of course, most of my songs were about Will, but they could be about anything. "Hey guys. It's really good to see the family back together, especially with everything that's been going on lately. As you all know, I have taken to writing music, and I wrote a song for you guys. Well, really it's about you know who, but I hope you guys like it, so sit back, relax and enjoy," I said playfully, nudging Will when I mentioned him. I slipped the worn strap over my head and settled the guitar comfortably on my legs, taking a deep breath in before I started to play. My fingers danced over the strings, picking out the familiar melody I'd been working on for weeks now. When I reached the moment, I began to sing.