Memory Two: First Kiss

• Dedicated to Chase

Will

It was after the disaster of the dinner section of Will and Emily's first date, and Will was worried. He was worried that Emily wasn't having a good time, and that he would lose the beautiful, sad girl that he was so attracted to, and that he would do anything to keep. "Do you want to go down to the beach? There's this place I know there that's amazing," Will asked, and Emily nodded. They climbed into Will's battered blue car and he drove to the perfect place, not knowing that it would soon become their place. When they reached the right spot, an opening in the heavy undergrowth that showed a sandy path through the encroaching trees, Will could already hear the steady lapping of the waves on the silver sands, and he smiled, confidently leading Emily along the path by her warm hand. Finally they came out onto the beach, beautiful in the silvery moonlight and quiet, because no-one else was there. Will lead Emily up some steep stone stairs cut into the rough rock face so they were soon overlooking the beach, and Emily stared out into the ocean, her eyes shining like silver coins in her beautiful face. They sat down on the edge of the cliff, legs dangling over the cliff-face so that Emily almost lost her shoe to the crashing waves below. "Are you having a good time?" Will asked. "Yes. It's so amazing here. I'm so glad my dad moved here. But, you know what would make it perfect?" replied Emily. "No," frowned Will, wondering where he had gone wrong. He had planned out every moment of the date, except for all the food spillages and the beach trip. "If I did this," whispered Emily, and she leaned in and kissed him. Then, as their lips met, the world just disappeared, and all Will could think of was Emily, and nothing else mattered. The kiss seemed to last for hours, but in fact it was only minutes. Will didn't want to stop, but then he did, breaking off the kiss and looking into Emily's shining eyes, and smiled. It had felt like the whole universe had clicked into place as the kiss had played out, and Will felt like the luckiest guy on the earth.

Emily

As Emily leaned into Will's embrace, she felt a thrill of excitement. She had been wanting to kiss him ever since she had first seen him crossing the quadrangle. He had asked her out, there and then even though they didn't know each other at all, and she had agreed, nervous and excited too. But, as she met his lips, all thoughts were driven from her mind, and she was kissing him like she'd never kissed a boy before. There and now, Emily knew this was where she was supposed to be, and never before had she felt so at home.