7: Understanding

What I need from you is understanding, How can we communicate, If you don't hear what I say, What I need from you is understanding, So simple as 1-2-3, Understanding is what we need. -Xscape

*Iyesha B

*Iyesha B. Ricciardi*

The school bell sounds off signaling the end of the school day. "Everyone have a great day! I will see you all tomorrow." The students gather up their belongings to exit the classroom. I walk around the class picking up all of the scrap paper left on their desks...

After everything was clean and put away. I figured I'd sit at the desk and grade papers. I went over to the desk opening the drawer to pull out the papers. Knocks on the classroom door distracted me. I looked up seeing Mila standing in the doorway. I smiled standing to go open the door. She walking holding her own stack of papers as I moved aside.

I shut the door back walking back towards my desk. "You look tired girl." I say to her as I sit.

She places her papers onto one of my other desks in the class. "Girl when I tell you these kids about done worked my nerves today."

"What happened?" I questioned, typing lightly on my laptop.

"These damn kids started two fights in my class. I had to write four people up. I had a parent try to pop up in my class unannounced. Then, she got mad when I said she had to check into the office first." She rolled her eyes, fixing her hair from her face.

"She wasn't supposed to be allowed into the doors without a pass anyways." I reply.

"But you know the kids like to open doors for familiar faces." She says. "Anyways, did you end up going over that lesson you took forever to plan?"

"Yes!" I pull out my drawer searching for the paper to show her my lesson plan. Once I find it I hand it to her to look over. "It wasn't as hard as I made myself believe. It was more so about trying to simplify it for middle school children."

"I hear that." She laughed, staring down at the paper.

"I gave them a test, but some of them just didn't understand the concept. I have to switch it up for them. I don't want everybody to fail."

"You'll get the hang of it. Lord knows I had to!" She exclaimed.

"You're right." I nod as I'm grading papers. Knocks on the door again caused my focus to shift. I looked over seeing a fellow teacher at the door. I walk to the door, opening it, and stepping aside.

"Good evening Mrs. Verací." Quinn, The Vice Principal, says. He walks over to her handing her a couple of envelopes. "Those are the envelopes for the report cards you asked for."

"Thank you kindly." She replies, taking the stack from him.

He turns to me. "And how are you doing today Mrs. Brantley?" His face spread into a sly smirk as he said so.