Hi Mummy, I'm home

Start from the beginning

When we got our first big royalty check I had tried to buy her a new house but she had insisted that the memories were too great here, to "just pack up and leave". I guess that's why she's kept the same lounge suite, the same crockery and the same chairs. Part of me is grateful too, I mean it always feels like home when I step through the doors and not just another Hotel or Serviced apartment.

"Okay," she says after a while. "One condition."

"Name it!" I reply confidently between mouthfuls of cake.

"Before you leave, promise me you will have those boys over, just like old times. The house feels far too empty when you lot are gone." I watch as the edges of her mouth turn downwards.

I sometimes forget how hard it is for our families when we're away. I mean if we're lonely being out there doing what we love, imagine being the ones left behind. Then imagine seeing and reading all the made up stories about us, and in many cases not finding out the truth until we have time to call which can be days at a time.

I get off my seat and give her a hug. "I'll ask them Mum. I'm sure they'd love to see you," I answer truthfully.

I message the boys on our group chat, each of them replies within a few minutes. They all said yes, which wasn't a surprise. Jax always said he felt more at home and my house than he did his own, and he even calls my Mum, Mum.

Beckett, I think, just likes being away from his dominating Mum. And as for the twins, well they just like food and since my Mum is a feeder it works in their favour.

We exchange a few messages back and forth. Jax's Mum, thankfully, is currently single. The twins are already off on some crazy farm adventure. Meanwhile, Beckett is already asking if he can go back on tour to escape him Mum. Home sweet home, I think as I close my phone and ask Peyton about school.

"I guess it's pretty good. I mean it's pretty easy to make friends when you're brothers a rock star," she answers with a smirk.

"I see."

"The only sucky thing is that they all want to date you," she says as she scrunches up her face in disgust.

"Well, I know all about that. If I recall correctly a certain sister of mine has a thing for one of my best friends," I say in reference to Peyton's long-standing crush on Beckett.

She picks up her forks and flicks a piece of cake at me. "Shut up!"

"You better clean that up young lady," my Mum says with a smirk.

Round one Senna, I think as I clear the plates.

I take my suitcase with me as I head up to my room. Unlike the rest of the house, my room has changed somewhat in the time that I've been gone. For one thing, it's finally clean, and for another, I was able to afford to upgrade my single bed to a double. The blue race car curtains I've had since I was five are, however, still firmly in place across my window.

As I step across the floor I feel the familiar feeling of the cream coloured plush carpet beneath my feet.  I sit on the end of the bed and fall back down on top of the pillows, looking directly up at the glow in the dark stars and planets that still line the ceiling. I must have been six or seven when my Dad gave them to me. He looked me straight in the eye and made me promise to always aim for the stars. It is memories like this that make me understand my Mum's resistance to moving or renovating.