Shiitake

Senna's POV

"Two FaceTime calls in two days?" he asks, his eyes never leaving the screen in front of us.

I grunt out a "yes," as I work my the button's on my controller, running my player past Jax's team to eventually score a goal. In a true FIFA goal celebration, I throw the controller down on the couch and fall to my knees in the small space between the sofa and the TV. Pulling my shirt over my face I raise my arms above my head and cheer silently so not to wake Beckett or the twins who are sleeping the bunks in the next room. While blindfolded by my shirt Jax playfully punches my exposed stomach effectively ending my celebration.

"Sore loser," I mutter as I pull my shirt off my face.

He leans back on the couch, his arms crossed behind his head. "Yeah right, I gifted you that goal."

"Sure you did," I scoff as I stand, grabbing a hold of the TV cabinet as we hit what I assume to be a pothole causing the whole bus to shake.

"So, Harri, huh?" Jax asks not so casually.

I sit down on the edge of the couch that takes up most of the space in Gus's back lounge and face Jax. Playing absently with the controller I avoid making direct eye contact with him. "Yeah."

I had spoken to Jax yesterday about my first FaceTime call with Harri and made sure to give him a fist pump for his suggestion of covering the camera with tape. He laughed at me when I admitted that I thought she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, but stopped short of telling me I was an idiot. Although he did use an app on his phone to make the sound of a whip cracking, so I guess he thinks she has me whipped. Even though we've only been speaking for a few weeks, I can't help but think he might right. Maybe not now, but certainly for the first time in my life, I can say that I am starting to understand Beckett's behaviour around Joanna and Tessa.

"What do you guys even talk about?" he asks placing his controller by his side indicating that the game is over.

"Normal shi— shiitake," I say channeling Harri.

I watch as he runs his hand through his hair, brushing the brown strands across his forehead and out of his eyes. "Normal what?" he asks confused.

"Shiitake," I state simply.

He laughs out loud, "and just what the eff is a shiitake?"

Working hard, I keep my face straight devoid of emotion and answer,  "a mushroom, Jax." 

He continues to laugh, "I know that, Smartarse! Why not just say shit?"

"Because maybe I want to cut back on my swearing," I lie. Again I try and keep my face straight. I know how much it kills him when he can't work out if I am being serious or if I am joking.

"Or maybe you're just whipped," he replies taking his phone out of his pocket and using the whip crack app to emphasize his point. While I laugh, I don't find it quite as funny as Jax who falls off the couch in hysterics, assisted by Gus who jolts as the wheels hit yet another pothole. He hits the knee on the TV cabinet on his way down.  Standing he grimaces as he rubs the injury.

"Serves you right for laughing, you dic—dumpling," I tease, gesturing at his knee.

He sits back on the sofa, sweeping his fringe back and covering with a snapback that was sitting abandoned on the arm of the couch. "Okay okay. Now answer the question what kind of... shiitake do you guys talk about?"

I smile at his quick adoption of the word shiitake. "I don't know. Normal shiitake like school, the weather, family and dad jokes."