Chapter Twenty Three- The Trap

"I don't like this," Dean muttered.

"You don't have to like it," Sam murmured back. His back was beginning to ache from all the waiting they'd been doing. They were standing in the shadow of a doorway, completely hidden from view. The Doctor stood solitary in the light of a street lamp. He tapped a foot, fiddling with his sonic screwdriver.

"I know, but I still-"

"We can hear you from here," Sherlock's voice hissed through their earpiece, crackling slightly. "The point of an ambush is to not let the enemy know we're here."

"Yes, thank you, robot," Dean snapped back.

"No need to be curt, I just-"

"They're here," Cas's monotonous voice interrupted them, instilling an instant silence.

"I don't see them," John whispered.

"I can sense them," Cas assured them. Sam strained his eyes further. A flash of movement caught his eye. He could just make out a figure, hovering just outside the pool of light. He blinked, and it was gone.

"I saw one. Doctor be ready," he gripped his Angel Gun harder, clicking the safety off. More figures were appearing now, more defined as they grew bolder. One reached for the Doctor.

"Now!" Meg's commanding voice spurred him out of the shadows. He sprinted forwards, Dean following close behind. The Doctor pointed his sonic screwdriver up into the air as the others came into view. The air grew hazy. The group found themselves in the centre of a circle of mirrors.

"What now? John looked to the Doctor. The alien looked pensive.

"Now we-" Sam felt a hand grab his collar, jerking him back with a yelp. His hands scrabbled back, cool stone grazing his fingers.

"Dean!" he screamed. His brother turned, wide eyed. He raised his gun, arm unwavering. Breathe in. Breathe out. Pause.

Bang!

A gunshot rang painfully in Sam's ears as the hand gripping him disappeared. He stumbled forwards, twisting awkwardly to catch sight of his attacker. A weeping angel stood before him, face twisted in cold fury. One hand had been blown off. Sam raised his gun and fired again.

Bang!

The angel's head disintegrated. A hand landed on his shoulder. He tensed but relaxed when he felt the warm touch of skin.

"Come on," Dean said in his ear. Sam nodded, backing into their circle of light. Angels surrounded then, swarming in the shadows like bees. Bees!

"Where's Cas?" Sam gasped, head whipping round. Dean paled.

"Damn it!" he muttered. Then, louder. "Cas! Cas! Where are you?" A gunshot answered. Two more followed.

"Cas!" Dean yelled, sprinting towards the noise. Sam followed.

"Retreat!" Meg screamed. They fell back, following Dean and coming to the crest of a hill. At the bottom, Cas stood battling a group of people.

"Who are they?" Sherlock demanded. Sam frowned. They were quick- nearly as quick as Cas. A glint of silver caught his eye. An angel blade.

"Angels," Dean spat. The Doctor looked confused.

"Angels?" he repeated. Dean rolled his eyes.

"These are actual angels, though," Sam elaborated.

"Like a heavenly host?" John scoffed. "There's no such thing."

"But there are such things as moving alien stone statues?" Sam retorted. John hesitated, looking unsure of himself. "Exactly."

"Shouldn't we, I don't know, help him?" the Doctor demanded. Dean shrugged.

"Nah," he gestured. "Meg's got it covered." They looked down to see Meg and Cas standing back to back. There were three angels left and, as they watched, one lunged at Meg. She blocked easily and disarmed him, stabbing him through the chest. A flash of blue light and the angel was on the floor. Dead. Cas dispatched the other two and nodded his thanks at Meg.

"Now what do we do?" Sam sighed. He glanced about him, but saw no stone angels. The real ones must have scared them off.

"I dunno. Come up with a new plan, I guess," Dean met Sam's gaze, sharing his frustration. Sam groaned internally. This plan had taken up a whole week. Chuck and Amara had disappeared into the ether, so they weren't going to be much help.

"No need," a low voice called  from behind them. Crowley stood there, his signature smirk plastered on his face. "I have a proposition for you."

A/N: dunh dunh duuuuunh! Crowley! Who else would you have expected it to be? Sorry this took so long, but, you know. Life. Last week of school this week! Whoop whoop! Please vite, comment etc. Love you guys xxxxx