Wonderful Christmastime

"Good ole Liddypool," I sighed, "You never know how much you love something until you leave it."

Paul laughed, "You surprise me, Lia."

"What?"

"You're a poet at heart as you are on paper," he winked.

I chuckled, "And this surprises you?"

"Course it does, I'm used to your cheekiness."

"Something I can never let go."

Paul threw his head back and laughed. A few people turned to stare at us but none stopped us. For the first time in forever, we were able to walk down the streets in peace.

Christmas in Liverpool meant family, chestnuts, wine, fruitcake, and, above all, snow. There wasn't a single centimeter not covered with snow. Even the snow was covered with snow, like a hat sitting on top of another hat. There was so much snow, all you could see was white.

Paul and I had been drafted by Angela to walk down to the nearest market and purchase needed items for Christmas dinner. Dad swore up and down by Angela's turkey, though I was skeptical. We had never had a turkey for Christmas before then, always sticking to ham. It would be interesting to see if she truly did make melt-in-your-mouth-turkey like Dad said she did.

"It's nice, isn't it?" Paul asked.

I lifted an eyebrow, "It's bloody freezing if you ask me."

"Not the snow, you git," Paul teased, "I mean being back home. Being a family again."

I smiled. This was the first Christmas we had back with Dad. It was the first holiday we had with him where we were on good terms. We even had Angela and Ruth, even Mikey had come home for Christmas. Molly and Jane were easily coaxed into coming with us, so we could have everyone we loved in one room. All we were missing was the rest of our music family, but they had their own families to visit. 

"The greatest Christmas gift anyone could ask for," I replied.

Paul nodded, "That it is, Lia, that it is."

We rounded the corner and our childhood house came into view. For the first time since Mum died, it was warm. Light shone out of every window making the frigid airs of Liverpool feel warmer. Even from outside, I could hear the hearty laughter of the people inside. Paul opened the door and we were met with the aroma of pipe smoke mixed with cranberries.

"Ho ho ho!" Paul exclaimed, "We come bearing delectable food!"

Jane laughed, "I thought you went out for a smoke?"

"That as well."

"Bring the food in here and take your boots off!" Angela ordered, "I don't want you tracking snow all over the house."

I chuckled, "Whatever you say, Angie."

Paul took the bags into the kitchen where Angela was cooking the dinner. I went into the living room, smiling at the sight. Dad was sitting on his armchair just like he always did when we were children, puffing his pipe and reading a magazine. Michael was on the couch with Ruth in his lap talking about some book she had recently read. Jane and Molly both sat on the floor with Vera, who was sitting up and sucking on a teething toy.

"'Ello, ladies," I grinned, sitting next to Molly.

Molly grinned, "Get lost, did you?"

"What gave you that idea?"

"You were gone for two hours," she replied, "The market is five minutes away."

I chuckled, "Took the scenic route, we did."