A Breakup and A Performance

As it turns out, our reputation was anything but tarnished. It had grown exponentially when we were in Hamburg. Our shows were bigger now than ever before, and people knew our names. We were no longer a small band nobody knew about, we had become something Liverpudlians knew and enjoyed.

With success comes turmoil. It seems as if life is one issue after another, especially when you're in a band such as ours. Life constantly tosses problem after problem at us without breaks. Sometimes, the problems can only be solved through sacrifice.

"I was thinking of learning to play the guitar," Molly said, "Perhaps I could start my own music career."

The two of us were walking towards The Cavern Club for a show. The sun had yet to set, casting a golden light across the street. It made Molly's hair look truly golden as if Rumplestilkstien himself had spun it. 

"You can't go wrong with guitar. Did you ask John about joining the band?" I asked.

Molly rubbed the back of her neck, "No, I can't."

"Why not?"

"John and I broke up last night," Molly sighed.

I felt my heart leap. Their relationship had always caused me pain, though I don't know why. I buried my satisfaction and comfortingly wrapped an arm around her shoulders, "Aw, I'm sorry, Molly."

"It's alright, honestly," Molly replied, "I was planning on breaking up with him once he got back. When he came to my house while you were still sleeping, he brought it up first, and we kinda mutually agreed that we weren't right for each other."

This was the greatest news for me. A relationship I hated had disbanded on good terms, meaning two of my dearest friends would remain friends, hopefully without any awkwardness. It thrilled me. I did my best to hide my joy and replace it for sympathy.

"That's good, then," I said, "You're still friends?"

"Yeah, we're still friends."

It became difficult to hide my joy. I cleared my throat and wrapped my fingers around my jacket, directing my gaze to the street in front of us. The Cavern Club came into view a few seconds later. There was a long line waiting to get in, waiting to see us. A sign hung above the door announcing our performance. It was the first time we had our own sign, let alone a line of people that came for the pure purpose of seeing us. 

"Fancy that," I muttered, "A line of people waiting to see us."

Molly grinned, "You're bloody famous, you are."

"Nah, not yet."

Truth be told, I was beginning to change my view on this band. I could see why Paul and John were sure we really would make it to the top. We had something special. I don't know what it is, I just know the feeling. We brought an amazing feeling- a beautiful feeling- every time we played. It was a sense of freedom, love, happiness, hope, and an overwhelming sense of pure mania. We were fun, free, and happy, there was no better combination.

Molly and I went in through the back. She had to go out into the club while I met the rest of the band. We went our separate ways in the hall. I headed down the familiar damp halls with stone walls and wooden floors. It felt like home.

John, Paul, and George were waiting for me in the back room. They all looked panicked. When Paul saw me, he threw up his hands and exclaimed, "Bloody hell, Lia, we thought you weren't coming."

"Cool your jets, Paul, I'm only two minutes late."

"We go on in a minute," John replied, "You don't even have time to get ready."