Deportation Part Two

Being back in Liverpool was like returning to school. Nothing had changed. The sky was still gray, the fish still smelled, the people were still pale, and the clock tower downtown still chimed three minutes late. 

The only difference was when I went to sleep and woke up. The first and last thing I saw every day was Molly. We shared her room, sometimes even sleeping together on her bed. I was happier there than I had ever been at home. There was something about knowing someone was nearby that made sleeping all the better. With her by my side, I had sweet dreams and woke up more refreshed than ever before. 

"Hamburg was more colorful," I sighed, "Everything here is pale."

Molly glanced over her shoulder at me, "It's not that bad."

"Says the girl who grew up in the mountains of Scotland. I'm sure you feel like you're in a silent movie."

"I've gotten used to it."

She turned to the piano and hit a few notes. We were the only two people in her house, as her parents had gone to work. The house was unusually silent without Mr. Mackenzie's radio and Mrs. Mackenzie singing along. Molly tried to fill the silence by playing with the piano. 

"Did you miss anything?" Molly asked.

She didn't look away from the piano. Her back was to me, but I could still sense the frown on her lips. I glanced at her and said, "Of course. I missed you most of all. In a way, I guess I missed the food too, there's no fish like Liverpool fish."

Molly smiled brightly. I stood up and went to sit on the bench with her. While she faced the piano, I straddled the bench. She began to play while I rested my head on her shoulder. I could feel her muscles moving underneath my cheek. Oddly, it was comforting. I didn't realize how starved I was for touch until I saw Molly again. The lads weren't touchy-feely sort of people, it came with their sense of masculinity. Paul was the only one who was willing to give me a hug, occasionally I could coax George into it, but even that wasn't often. I was the sort of person who needed constant affection, and Molly was the sort who was happy to give it. 

"I am glad not to have long shows anymore," I sighed, "Nearly made my fingers fall off."

Molly chuckled, "Sounds like hell."

"It was, but it was a job."

"You'll get another," Molly assured me, "You can still play at The Cavern."

"It's kind of hard without the lads. It's only George and me now."

Molly shrugged, "I'll help you if you want. I know piano, and I can sing. And play guitar, sort of."

I smiled and hugged her shoulders. She laughed, rubbing my arms. I thought it was a wonderful idea, and I was sure George would think so as well. Just the idea of playing music with Molly made my heart laugh with joy. Doing anything with Molly was instantly enjoyable simply because she was with me. She even made math enjoyable, and I hated math. 

"We'll call ourselves Molly, Melly, and Georgie," I giggled, "We'll be a hit in no time."

Molly laughed, "Brilliant!"

I released her and stood, "I'll ring Georgie. I'm sure he'll say yes in a heartbeat."

George had told me before that he liked Molly. Everybody likes Molly, it's impossible not to like Molly. She was a walking ray of sunshine from her smile to her golden hair. Even complete strangers had to smile when she was around. Paul even said that Molly and I worked well together. I had no doubts in my mind that they would let her play with us, but you never know until you try.